WotC D&D Beyond current development

Are you surprised that they've cut back on communication? If they mistakenly overpromise they're lying. If they admit they don't have the budget to fix something, they're terrible miscreants. It buys them absolutely nothing to make the internals of their project public knowledge.
This is what we call "rewriting history" on your part. And the "terrible miscreants" thing is entirely fiction. No-one has ever said that - the issue is the exact opposite - they've always claimed to be well-funded. So I'm not sure why you're saying that, can you explain?

The Beyond team had huge goodwill towards them in to 2019. They retained it in 2020 despite doing worse, because we all had high hopes, and they kept updating their plans and so on. By 2021 things were looking a bit ropey and people were starting to ask questions, particularly after Tasha's came out and they showed no signs of doing the stuff they'd promised, nor allowing players to do it. That goodwill has been almost completely burned now, given they have funding but haven't done anything they promised - and we're talking some really basic stuff here, that should have been prioritized given the numerous broken promises involved.
I have to confess that I haven't noticed any difference with DnDBeyond since the acquisition.
Yeah that's the problem mate.

Also, any schedule estimate from three years ago was made in the Before Times.
That's irrelevant, because they specific claim was that Supernatural Gifts and later Dark Gifts had to be held off from being created because they needed the Generic Feature system that they were implementing for Tasha's, and that as soon as that was done, it'd be trivial to implement the Gifts. Players begged them to just do the gifts as Feats, which if Beyond did it would enable them to easily be applied to PCs, and pointed out this would literally take a few hours (for a single individual - we know this because we can also do it, but every single user has to do it individually). The Beyond team refused giving the explanation that whilst it would indeed by easy, they'd just need to do it again real soon when the Generic Feature system was in, and they'd do it then.

The Generic Feature system has been in for over 2 years now.

At this point I'm fairly convinced they're just never going to implement it, which I feel is kind of a rip-off given they sold the books on the very clear basis that whilst the Gift feature wouldn't operate at launch, it would be added "soon" thereafter (that was literally said in posts they made).

This is what we call "rewriting history" on your part. And the "terrible miscreants" thing is entirely fiction. No-one has ever said that - the issue is the exact opposite - they've always claimed to be well-funded. So I'm not sure why you're saying that, can you explain?

The Beyond team had huge goodwill towards them in to 2019. They retained it in 2020 despite doing worse, because we all had high hopes, and they kept updating their plans and so on. By 2021 things were looking a bit ropey and people were starting to ask questions, particularly after Tasha's came out and they showed no signs of doing the stuff they'd promised, nor allowing players to do it. That goodwill has been almost completely burned now, given they have funding but haven't done anything they promised - and we're talking some really basic stuff here, that should have been prioritized given the numerous broken promises involved.

Yeah that's the problem mate.
Tons of people still have goodwill.

Tons of people still have goodwill.
That's not what it looks like on any forums where Beyond is discussed, including Beyond's own forums. All the DMs IRL I know use Beyond, and whilst none of them are particularly au fait with the details of what's going on, it's very clear their attitudes re: Beyond have declined from "This is really cool and worth it" to "this is a bit rubbish and never seems to improve, hope WotC fixes it!".

Funny how a game that requires major software changes from the baseline to be supported properly online is somehow still not considered a new edition.

Weird.
I would assume that the new VTT will be able to work with current dnd beyond content (i.e. 5e) and 1dnd content. They would shoot themselves in the foot if dnd beyond characters made prior to 2024 didn't work with the new VTT. To make that happen there will have to be a certain amount of compatibility between 2014 5e and 1dnd.

I'm a "legal engineer", not directly a software dev (though sort-of - I use a lot of products for building rules-based automation solutions and even apps - mostly low-code stuff), and I work with devs literally every day. So if you're trying to argue I don't know enough, sorry, that's bollocks. I do.
This is hilarious. "I'm not technically a software engineer, but I work with them every day. And I use software, so basically I AM a developer. Sort of. Also, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. It should be obvious that I know what I'm talking about."

This is hilarious. "I'm not technically a software engineer, but I work with them every day. And I use software, so basically I AM a developer. Sort of. Also, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. It should be obvious that I know what I'm talking about."
You clearly don't know what any of the things I mentioned actually are, so this seems like an extremely bold position to take. I mean, if you do, why don't you go ahead and explain, that'll be interesting.

Last edited:

Remove ads