• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Beyond: No More À La Carte Purchases But US Customers Can Buy Physical Books

Plus UI changes and more product information in listings.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 17.52.09.png

WotC has announced some changes to D&D Beyond's marketplace. These include physical products (for US customers), the removal of à la carte purchases, and various navigational changes.

You can no longer buy individual feats, subclasses, etc. -- you'll need to buy the whole book. The full list of changes includes:
  • US shoppers can now buy physical books
  • More info on product listings, including previews
  • UI improvements to makee finding your purchased content and redeeming keys easier
  • No more à la carte purchases (though your previous ones still count)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
and because others don’t that somehow makes this move less consumer unfriendly?

If other marketplaces do no offer it, then other publishers basically have their hands tied, not everyone has their own marketplace
Any publisher who uses DTRPG could sell their books by the chapter or even individual entry. I don't see why WotC is the villain in this particular case.

mamba

Legend
Any publisher who uses DTRPG could sell their books by the chapter or even individual entry. I don't see why WotC is the villain in this particular case.
they could I assume, not sure what the terms are. If you are selling 500 books total there is a lot less incentive / demand however.

I did not call WotC a villain, I said the move is consumer unfriendly, I don’t see how you could claim that it isn’t.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I do not need reasons for why it would have them to tell you that the whole microtransaction talk is about the VTT

not to me, nor do I expect the topic to now disappear

huh? where is that from? Ultimately irrelevant however

because that is what they would showcase…

as I said, I need no evidence, this is about what fuels the microtransaction discussion, not the VTT itself. As to the 95%, I expect the mt discussion to basically not be affected by this and continue as is, hence the 5% impact of this on it
You ARE the fuel to the microtransaction discussion. This is circular logic. You're saying as long as you say the microtransaction discussion is about the VTT, it is, because someone said it repeatedly (you). There's nothing objective to point to about this topic.

mamba

Legend
You ARE the fuel to the microtransaction discussion. This is circular logic. You're saying as long as you say the microtransaction discussion is about the VTT, it is, because someone said it repeatedly (you). There's nothing objective to point to about this topic.
I am saying the discussion about mt won’t stop because of this move, I am not fueling this discussion, I said nothing about the VTT one way or the other (apart from it being the reason for why this discussion exists). Nothing circular about it, it’s not even self-fulfilling

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'll be extremely surprised if the VTT doesn't have microtransactions, anything else would be leaving money on the table, and Hasbro hates that.

The D&D microtransactions were probably removed because they were competing with macrotransactions, and that's not good business.
They literally just left money on the table by cancelling the microtransactions in DNDBeyond, which has some fair popularity and were priced to make them money from people who didn't want to buy entire books. It seems they did this to quiet accusations of microtransactions...though it's only strangely fueled them because apparently it's opposite day.

There is no evidence it was competing with macrotransactions - and if there were, that would be further evidence they're less likely to create systems that involved microstransactions and just learned a lesson about them detracting from a primary product.

I mean this whole topic was intermingled with the "and they want to get rid of print books" while this announcement also increased the accessibility of print books.

I really think we've reached the "Any WOTC news will be spun as negative WOTC news and twisted to further whatever anti-WOTC spin we're trying to put on things" stage of these discussions. If WOTC were rescuing babies I suspect people would claim they were doing it just to distract from some other bad thing.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
They literally just left money on the table by cancelling the microtransactions in DNDBeyond, which has some fair popularity and were priced to make them money from people who didn't want to buy entire books. It seems they did this to quiet accusations of microtransactions...though it's only strangely fueled them because apparently it's opposite day.
I see no evidence that this is actually so.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm not one to defend WotC generally, but this seems like a strange criticism. I can't think of any other companies that sell their RPG content a la carte.
When a company removes functionality, that's on the company.

I have a suspicion the micropurchases are being removed related to the new books coming later this year - the old books will be moving to legacy content and tracking individual "retired" vs active line items will likely be a pain.

mamba

Legend
I have a suspicion the micropurchases are being removed related to the new books coming later this year - the old books will be moving to legacy content and tracking individual "retired" vs active line items will likely be a pain.
they retroactively removed the option from all books

Clint_L

Legend
Did I miss something? Was there an interview or an announcement where WotC specified their motive for making the change?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'm not one to defend WotC generally, but this seems like a strange criticism. I can't think of any other companies that sell their RPG content a la carte.
So they remove functionality, and the response is that they shouldn't have had that functionality in the first place? Seems like a strange defense of corporate action to me.

Remove ads

Remove ads