D&D 5E D&D Beyond Previews Flying Pigs, Space Hamsters, And More!

WotC has previewed a few Spelljammer monsters over on D&D Beyond, including Scavvers, Space Eels, Space Hamsters, Space Mollymawks, and Space Swine. Scavvers are 10-ft space sharks, space eels are ethereal serpentine critters, the infamous space hamsters ar about the size of a bear, space mollyhawks are birds which travel in flocks, and space swine are winged boars. Yup, flying pigs...

WotC has previewed a few Spelljammer monsters over on D&D Beyond, including Scavvers, Space Eels, Space Hamsters, Space Mollymawks, and Space Swine.

Scavvers are 10-ft space sharks, space eels are ethereal serpentine critters, the infamous space hamsters ar about the size of a bear, space mollyhawks are birds which travel in flocks, and space swine are winged boars. Yup, flying pigs.

space-hamster.jpg

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Good job in that article highlighting the wackier side of spelljammer from the day, should newer folks be interested in that style.

And if they are not, well carry on. I have played spelljammer both serious and wacky. Good Times.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I was hoping for serious or at least not full wackadoodle. I'm not saying the is WG7 Castle Greyhawk slap in the face bad, but I could have gone with a more serious tone.

Looks like I will be writing my own setting stuff.
I was not responding to your post @sevenbastard , was still typing when you submittd.

There is plenty of room in Spelljammer for serious stuff, like I mentioned above, our "reality grounded" campaign was more space fleet battles, dangerous hyperspace exploration, and politics of the system they started in.

I'm pretty sure treating Spelljammer seriously would be disrespecting the material and older fans.

We played it straight back in the day. I think over the years the siller elements recieve the lime light and skew perception but the modules put out for it were serious with topics like genocide and slavery.

It would be like if Starwars only leaned into the Ewoks and slap stick elements.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I ran a 'serious' Spelljammer campaign rebelling against the Imperial Elves and I ran a completely absurd Tinker gnome, giant space hamster, pig-riding ultracapitalist penguins version trying to steal the Spelljammer. Both are valid. Both are fun.
I am enjoying Wildspace being an ecosystem. It was not something I focused on back in the day and it brings a lot to the setting for me.

Now I have got a question. If Hasbro wanted to produce an animated serie based in Spelljammer, where would be broadcasted, in Netflix, with Transformers(cartoon) and My Little Pony, or by Paramount+?

* Spelljammer is going to be unlocked soon in DM Guild. You can guess the crazy and awesome ideas by the 3PPs.

Kannik

Hero
Interesting... I get the sense that the Giant Space Hamsters are becoming more 'natural' (and without the various breeds such as the fire breathing phase doppelganger giant space hamsters) and only the miniature variety is the result of wizardry.

Interesting... I get the sense that the Giant Space Hamsters are becoming more 'natural' (and without the various breeds such as the fire breathing phase doppelganger giant space hamsters) and only the miniature variety is the result of wizardry.
I wished Spelljammer was more prevalent in 3e, especially back then with it had ridiculous numbers of templates that you could apply and stack back then...

Let's see, we have a Fiendish, Half-Celestial, Psuedonatural, Multi-headed, Gelatinous, Vampire Giant Space Hamster...

All using different templates I remember existing back in 3e.

Kannik

Hero
I wished Spelljammer was more prevalent in 3e, especially back then with it had ridiculous numbers of templates that you could apply and stack back then...

Let's see, we have a Fiendish, Half-Celestial, Psuedonatural, Multi-headed, Gelatinous, Vampire Giant Space Hamster...

All using different templates I remember existing back in 3e.
And never forget the Sabre-Toothed Giant Space Hamster. ;)

BUT! I just read that druids can wildshape into giant space hamsters. (!!) Which, a) confirms their more 'mundane' origin and b) sounds like all sorts of shades of fun awesomeness.

While the Spelljammer campaign we played in all those years ago didn't lean too heavily on the zany I've always appreciated the weirdness that was baked into the setting. The opening line of the boxed set I think sets the tone nicely: "Everything you know about space is wrong." That they're keeping that oddness and willing to lean into it (and, fingers crossed, keeping the other side of the coin as well) is making this a must-buy for me.

We played it straight back in the day. I think over the years the siller elements recieve the lime light and skew perception but the modules put out for it were serious with topics like genocide and slavery.

It would be like if Starwars only leaned into the Ewoks and slap stick elements.
Well, we played it campy and over-the-top back in the day. The sillier elements were there and relatively prominent from the start. The setting for each game was whatever you focused on...

Remove ads

Remove ads