WotC D&D Beyond Update: 2024 Core Rulebooks, Maps, and Third Party Content.

Lots of feature improvements to maps.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 17.14.39.png

Maps has a number of updates.
  • Lots of feature improvements to maps--tokens, fog, and user interface.
  • 'Spectator Mode' allows DMs to open a separate tab as a player view on a separate monitor, streaming, etc.
  • 'Draw Tool' allows you to freehand draw on the map.
  • 6 products from back catalogue plus third party content added to library.
  • Pointer added.
  • You can now rename a token.
  • Enhancement and support will include the 2024 core rulebooks.
Maps is 'here to stay' and will continue to be supported.

Regarding third party products, apparently they are inviting 'many third parties to the party'.

Oofta

Legend
I am not forgetting anything. The 3D VTT is a different beast entirely, aimed a different audience, designed for a different (monetization) purpose. Beyond Maps is intended to bring people to Beyond, and to do that it HAS to be better than VTTs where you can already leverage Beyond to use the VTT -- specifically, Roll20.

I disagree. They're targeting both ends of the spectrum. There's no reason or even need to compete directly with established VTTs, better to find a way to differentiate their products. You especially don't want Maps to compete the new VTT.

I'm going to say it.

I miss the VT "Map Tools" by RPGtools.net. It's what we used before roll20.

Full of features and customization. It was a pain and a half to host a game. But I learned alot about routers and accessing them by going through the tutorials.

I loved you could turn invisible PC invisible to other players. Watching friendly fire AOE never gets old.

Clint_L

Hero
I agree entirely! I want it to be less complicated already - in that I'd rather I don't have to have a campaign built on DDB to have it work for a F2F group (like on a tablet or something, with everyone else but the Map being on paper with real dice).
It does that, then. It just won't have tokens specifically for your players because you didn't create them. But you can put in any other token and rename it.

As long as you have a master tier subscription, you can use the map, and with the new feature you can share it onto another screen for your players even if they aren't on DDB.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
For me there were only a couple of things I felt like it missed that it really needed: the ability to upload your own tokens and some way to write text on the maps. The former is probably more important than the latter but I write notes on maps all the time. Again, probably not critical. Being able to upload your own tokens is pretty key though.
For the former, you can already do that - I just checked. If you're created a custom creature, there is a token for it available on maps, just like with characters. Alternatively, you can rename any token, so that would be a quick and dirty solution.

Couldn't you just write notes on with the draw tool?

lkj

Hero
For the former, you can already do that - I just checked. If you're created a custom creature, there is a token for it available on maps, just like with characters. Alternatively, you can rename any token, so that would be a quick and dirty solution.

Couldn't you just write notes on with the draw tool?
I actually did this to get a spell effect. I created a prismatic sphere monster so that I could have a token to use for the spell.

Overall the whole thing is really easy to use. I was running entirely theater of the mind games because I was tired of the prep from platforms like Roll20 (not intended as a diss. It just wasn't for me after trying it for a long time). We tried Maps out one evening and my players were so jazzed on it that we haven't stopped since. I'm probably in the 'simple' demographic that they are going for. I was also a pretty easy target because I'm pretty heavily invested in ddb, as is my entire play group. It was a really low bar to add Maps to the game.

AD

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I actually did this to get a spell effect. I created a prismatic sphere monster so that I could have a token to use for the spell.

Overall the whole thing is really easy to use. I was running entirely theater of the mind games because I was tired of the prep from platforms like Roll20 (not intended as a diss. It just wasn't for me after trying it for a long time). We tried Maps out one evening and my players were so jazzed on it that we haven't stopped since. I'm probably in the 'simple' demographic that they are going for. I was also a pretty easy target because I'm pretty heavily invested in ddb, as is my entire play group. It was a really low bar to add Maps to the game.

AD
Creating a monster for a spell effect is a great idea, that seems so obvious now that I've read it, but it never occurred to me. Thank you.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
So far this is all very crude compared to the more advanced Virtual Table Tops out there. Right now our groups are using Foundry. You cast fireball through your character sheet, which deducts the spell slot from your character sheet and then gives the player a template to place on the map. Once placed, the fireball then automatically is applied to all creatures in the area of effect, rolls their saves automatically, adjusts any applicable resistances, and applies damage on DM clicking approved. It then shows a fireball, with a sound effect, and you see people being harmed by it.

Here is a brief example:

I don't think it is crude at all. It is very streamlined, intuitive, and runs silky smooth. They are developing a full-featured VTT for those who want all the bells and whistles. I've used RealmWorks, Map Tool, Fantasy Grounds, Role, Roll20, d20pro, and Foundry. DDB Maps is an excellent tool for basic battlemap functionality and is perhaps the best VTT-lite tool I've seen. A tool like this is wonderful for low-prep sandbox style of running D&D. It has just about everything I need as it is. The only major feature that is missing for me is layers, so that I can have a DMs view with map keys, secret doors, and other DM facing stuff and a players view.

Since so many D&D players already use Foundry, this gives them a great basic battlemap tool for those that don't want the extra expense of subscribing to more feature-rich VTTs and don't need or want to deal with the prep for, automations, dynamic lighting, animated special effects, and the like.

MNblockhead

I love it when a big company gets accolades for implementing decade old technology and calling it new.

Looks like Silicon Valley invented the bus again!
Oh please. I've used all the major VTTs, and several obscure ones, for over a decade now. It isn't trying to be innovate in terms of kewl new features. It is taking the basic necessities and making them intuitive and integrated with subscribers other D&D Beyond content. It creating increases the value of DDB subscription. Even in beta it is a solid product. Sometimes, I want to buy a good quality knife that makes it easy to cut things and keeps its edge. I don't piss on it because it isn't a Leatherman or Swiss Army knife.

MNblockhead

So they are adding features that are already standard on roll20.
Yeah, with a far lower learning curve and no extra cost if you are already a DDB subscriber.

They are working on a far more feature rich VTT and, when it comes out, these kinds of comparisons will make more sense with that VTT. Those comparing Roll20, Foundry, and Fantasy Grounds to DDB Maps are missing the point.

Remove ads

Remove ads