• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Brand Dilution

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Non-gamers frequently use "D&D" to refer to the whole hobby, much like Kleenex, Asprin, and Xerox have all become generic terms for their respective products.

While I have seen gamers say something like "<Insert RPG Name Here> is my D&D of choice," I can't say that I've seen gamers using D&D as a truly generic term. When I see them say something like that, they're usually not using "D&D" as a generic term for RPGs, or even as a blanket term for FRPGs, but rather, they are saying that the game in question is used to play the kind of games which they most closely identify as the "D&D style."

After all, D&D has a different feel from Talisantha, Harn, Earthdawn and so forth, and gamers know this. Unlike those games, games like Hackmaster, Pathfinder, True20 and so forth emulate a certain playstyle that closely resembles things we'd all recognize as being D&D...and may even be close to the ideal D&D we all envision in our heads, and try to model with our accumulated HRs.

Personally, though, I don't play with the language that way. If I say I'm playing D&D, I'm playing some published version of D&D. If I say I'm starting a D&D campaign, its some published version of D&D.

That said, while 4Ed being D&D in name, it doesn't fit the playstyle to which I've become accustomed under that brand identity. It definitely didn't let me continue to update the campaign I've been running since the mid-1980s, which had morphed from 1Ed to 2Ed to 3.X.

So, while its nominally D&D, its not a D&D for me. But 5Ed and so forth may be- I'll know when they come out.

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
OD&D(1974) is the only true game. All the other editions and knockoffs are just poor imitations of the real thing.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
you hear someone mention "D&D" do they always mean the most recent rules for sale under that name?

In my circle of gamers I associate with, when people say "D&D" they could mean any version published under the name of "Dungeons & Dragons" by TSR or WotC.

Other no-name versions of D&D are not played at all in this group of gamers, as far as I know, probably due to the fact that the defining rpg for out market (Sweden) was a different game with a different game engine (BRP).

/M

Voadam

Legend
When you hear someone mention "D&D" do they always mean the most recent rules for sale under that name? Do you know people who use the name "D&D" in a more generic fashion?

The most current version only? Older D&D is no longer D&D? That's just silly.:)

Ariosto

First Post
In my current playing circle, "D&D" by itself means some form of the original game, with some book or combination of books from TSR involved at some point -- although a "retro-clone" book would probably fit in just fine. Only about half of us are acquainted with WotC versions, and we distinguish those by version number.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads