D&D Cartoon (30th anniversary)

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Grumpy Celt had a nice, 4-part review of that series. Ah, the memories. I can just see a bunch of network execs sitting around a table. "This Dungeons and Dragons thing is popular with teens. Let's make a Saturday Morning Cartoon about it."
"What is it?"
"I have no idea, but we can milk it."
"So, how?"
"Never mind how--that's what writers are for. Just make sure there is nothing in it to offend anyone, and that it complies with the usual anti-violence code of conduct."
"Um, it's a game where people run around, killing monsters."
"So, make the main characters all kids--they'll be reluctant to hurt anyone, and certainly won't kill." (Remember the innocence of the 80s?)

Zombie_Babies

First Post
This time in 1983 I was 16 years old, and a few solid years into my D&D career. I remember watching the D&D cartoon, but it was more out of a need to experience/support all things D&D than out of real enjoyment. Nowadays, I can't watch this show. (I tried to watch a couple of episodes in recent years.) It's just so very bad. Even watching that introduction makes me wince.

Bullgrit

Yeah, it's one of those shows you just can't go back to. We tried watching it again a few years back before sessions. It's awful. Like, totes awful. That's ok, though, cuz it was alright enoufh when it needed to be.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
In the 80s, no one would have considered the idea of kids bringing guns to school to deliberately kill as many students as possible (except maybe in the gang areas). The idea of the Columbine idiots was just unthinkable.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
In the 80s, no one would have considered the idea of kids bringing guns to school to deliberately kill as many students as possible (except maybe in the gang areas). The idea of the Columbine idiots was just unthinkable.

They'd have been remarkably silly. There were kids, there were guns, there was murder ergo it was possible.

Grumpy Celt had a nice, 4-part review of that series.

Thank you for the shout out. The first of those review episodes is below. I like the idea of a new D&D cartoon in theory, but the comments in the linked article are pretty vague.

[video=youtube;WzVzlP5SLZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzVzlP5SLZQ[/video]

sabrinathecat

Explorer
They'd have been remarkably silly. There were kids, there were guns, there was murder ergo it was possible.

Yeah, but kids didn't do that. Sure, you had some gang stuff, but that was usually targeting other gangs, or dopers, so it didn't count. Or you had dumb kids who found guns and brought them to school, then accidentally shot other kids. There weren't kids who deliberately planned to take guns to schools to kill lots of random kids. It hadn't happened. We were too busy with Back To The Future and Return of the Jedi.

Remove ads