• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D CHess set...getting it?

fendrin

First Post
Now see, I would have been more interested in a chess set made of d&d minis with a chess-board style battlemat... which I could always do up for myself... and then people could play chess OR have a d&d minis battle... or a d&d battle...

As for having the standard pieces so you know what each piece is, I have done fairly well with other themes sets. It just takes a little getting used to. Especially if the theming is logical or the pieces are marked with the standard symbols.

Mercule

Adventurer
Not a chance. It's not an issue of price (though $200 is absurd -- try half that). I wouldn't get it for $10.

Then again, I'm not exactly a collector of curios. I also tend to prefer to keep my geek side from being put under neon lights.

Ambrus

Explorer
*wipes saliva off of chin* I must have this set. I don't really care what it costs. A chess set with pieces reflecting the five chromatic species with Tiamat as the queen facing off against the five metallic species with Bahamut as the king? What more could I want?

If this sounds ridiculous, keep in mind that I started playing D&D over 15 years ago simply for the dragons (honestly, I bought the original FR Draconomicon before I discovered the PHB). What's best is that the various dragon species seem to have been tied to the similarly themed chess pieces; bronzes are the crusading knights, the bishops or "the fool" are coppers and the rooks are the staunch silvers. With the platinum dragon himself as the king and a gold as his queen the white side is set. The only thing I'm uncertain about is the board itself; the D&D logo seems rather large for my tastes. I'll certainly be buying it though.

silver_wizard

First Post
No chance I'm gonna give WotC $200 for a chess set when I haven't bought a single RPG supplement in two years!

What's next, D&D Monopoly or D&D Snakes and Ladders? :D

Nightchilde-2

First Post
silver_wizard said:
No chance I'm gonna give WotC $200 for a chess set when I haven't bought a single RPG supplement in two years!

What's next, D&D Monopoly or D&D Snakes and Ladders? :D

Well, there has been Dungeons & Dragons Clue.....

Tewligan

First Post
Oooh! The board is walnut finish AND leatherette? Hell, no wonder it's so expensive! That's nearly as good as actual walnut and actual leather, which might, y'know, make that ridiculous price tag a little more reasonable. Those jerks.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
As a chess fan, I'd certainly consider getting it, particularly if the pieces are weighted nicely. That'd require seeing/trying one out first, though.

I really want one, but the price is steep.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I would have been more tempted if the pieces were appropriately colored. Of course even then, there are much nicer sets I would likely spend that kind of money on if I were looking to do so.

Remove ads