D&D Classics Merging Into DM's Guild

The front page of WotC's (and DTRPG's) D&D Classics storefront, which currently serves older official (pre-5E) D&D products in PDF format, bears a notice indicating that the ship is being merged with Dungeon Master's Guild, the recently launched storefront for selling your home-brew material. All links to DndClassics.com will be redirected to the newer store. Of course, DM's Guild already has all this material on it; it, DnDClassics, DriveThruRPG, and RPGNow are all the same storefront skinned for different purposes and with different items highlighted on their front pages, so nothing changes from the customer's point of view other than the appearance of the store.

The front page of WotC's (and DTRPG's) D&D Classics storefront, which currently serves older official (pre-5E) D&D products in PDF format, bears a notice indicating that the ship is being merged with Dungeon Master's Guild, the recently launched storefront for selling your home-brew material. All links to DndClassics.com will be redirected to the newer store. Of course, DM's Guild already has all this material on it; it, DnDClassics, DriveThruRPG, and RPGNow are all the same storefront skinned for different purposes and with different items highlighted on their front pages, so nothing changes from the customer's point of view other than the appearance of the store.

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 17.04.23.png

Here's the full announcement:

"With the launch of the new Dungeon Masters Guild marketplace, which combines D&D classics with 5th edition content from the community, we will soon reset all links for DnDClassics.com to redirect automatically to DMsGuild.com.

Your customer account and your library all stay with you and can be used freely at DMsGuild, DriveThruRPG, and RPGNow.

This is not the end of classic D&D titles added to our store weekly! We will continue to release more classic titles every week at DMsGuild.com and DriveThruRPG.com (until we have every last one of those gems available to you)."

Find D&D Classics here (for now, at least!)

JeffB

Legend
I wonder how/if this affects companies like sasquatch, tlg, and Goodman who have old srd/ogl 5e products on drivethru..you can search via unofficial D&D 5e....will those show up on the Guild site now?

designbot

Explorer
They can do whatever they want, of course, but this definitely muddies the idea that the DM's Guild is just for content set in the Forgotten Realms.

darjr

I crit!
Cause I hat change?

Actually I don't like how they'll mix on the one site and the separation is clunky. When they have it on separate sites they stay that way. It is easier to browse for classic only stuff. At least for now.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wonder how/if this affects companies like sasquatch, tlg, and Goodman who have old srd/ogl 5e products on drivethru..you can search via unofficial D&D 5e....will those show up on the Guild site now?

They all ready do. It's really all just one site with different skins. If you change the first part of the URL of any product, you can find it on all four sites.

I think this will kill third party OGL stuff on DTRPG and RPGNow, though.

jamesjhaeck

Explorer
They all ready do. It's really all just one site with different skins. If you change the first part of the URL of any product, you can find it on all four sites.

That last part is a little concerning.

JeffB

Legend

Actually I should have clarified. I was wondering if products using the old ogl would be in conflict with the DmGuilds policy/new srd language and thus not allowed/blocked from showing up

ChapolimX

Explorer
I'm curious as to why?

Why have two different D&D specific sites to have to sift through to get your favorite D&D PDF or print-on-demand product?

I don't like it too. Currently DM's Guild don't even have a mobile friendly page (at least it don't show up at my phone). It also needs better categories filters. DnD Classics has it all already. They can fix it, sure. But I still think we would be better served by two storefronts designed to highlight its differents types of products with different publishing models. But this are just opinions, and considering how many good news we are getting this days this is nothing but a minor annoyance.

Remove ads

Remove ads