• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Deities, Demons and Devils that are "Open"

Aeolius

Adventurer
Keep in mind that while the names may be fair game, specific representations might not be.

For example; Dagon BEFORE:
dagon.gif

(from pantheon.org's entry Dagon )

and Dagon AFTER the WotC Treatment:
98445.jpg

(as represented in Fiendish Codex I)

For example; Dagon BEFORE:
dagon.gif

(from pantheon.org's entry Dagon )

and Dagon AFTER the WotC Treatment:
98445.jpg

(as represented in Fiendish Codex I)
Don't blame it all on WotC. Didn't Lovecraft have a hand in that? And didn't Dagon appear (in approximately the above form) in D&D prior to WotC acquiring TSR?

My point is that you can't just point at something and automatically assume that it's WotC's fault.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
It's true about specific representations.

This depends on the demon or devil of course. It's a lot easier to duplicate D&D Devils and be okay, since a lot of it was influenced by Dante and other Middle-Age interpretations of Hell. It would be very hard to prove differences between an Asmodeus in another campaign and the D&D Asmodeus.

However, other stuff is harder, like Demons. You could have a Pazeuzu because it's inspired from the Babylonean demon of the same name. However, Demogorgon was a made-up name with no descriptions, so the Mandrill or Hyeana two-headed versions with tentacles and a tail could be ripping things off. ( Stuff like Grazz't, Lolth, Zuggtmoy, etc, would all definitely be off-limits.

werekraken

First Post
Geryon is a devil in Dante's divine comedy where he is a winged beast with the tail of a scorpion the dwells between the seventh and eigth circles of hell. The 9 hells themselves predate D&D and are inspired by the divine comedy.

Dagon first becomes a sea monster like that pictured in the posts above in the works of H.P. Lovecraft (the Esoteric Order of Dagon from the Shadow Over Innsmouth).

Belial is a demon from the Bible and is mentioned in medieval tomes of Goetia as a demon of lies and guilt.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads