• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Encounters: Admission charge or free?

carmachu

Adventurer
I think that the entitlement generation is alive and well, not considering the effort, enegy, and sacrifice of GMs, owners of FLGS, and others who work in the 'service' industry.

I would include FLGS as well in that catagory of entitlement. Apparantly you and others think we should go and just fork over money to support FLGS becaue their FLGS. Not because they, you know, offer some kind of service to entice me to spend money in the store as opposed to ordering Online.

Plaguedguy

First Post
None of the local shops charge to participate in Encounters.
I do know however that they charge for 'private' use of tables during un-scheduled hours.

If stores want to charge a fee I suppose that's their right, but from my perspective I wouldn't pay $5 per week to participate.

That puts the monthly cost of Encounters above computer MMORPGs like World of Warcraft.

Netherstorm

First Post
To continue my rant, i forgot the worst thing.... Most of my group doesn't bring a pencil. Sometimes one of them will have a pen.

I don't like the sound of this "entitlement generation" idea. I think stuff like this happens because the players just aren't that into the game. They do encounters because it's free and a social thing to do for a bit. They look around at the store, and know that they could buy any of this stuff for significantly less online... and why buy it, when the store provides it when they need it? The players just take books off the shelves when they need to look something up... and put them back when they're done.

In my store, I think most of the players are much more into video games, and that's where their money goes. D&d is "free".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads