• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Encounters Season 1 & 2

mysticknight232

First Post
Does anybody know if the Encounters Seasons will becaomse available for the rest of us that couldn't make the scheduled event? I realize that season 2 is going on now, but will they release Season 1 as a module followed by Season 2 when it's completed? I've been listening to the Shattered Seas presentation of Season 1 and it sounds quite enjoyable and I was hoping to tackle that with my gaming group.

Thanks and happy hunting!

the Jester

Legend
I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that the quality of the D&D Encounters adventures is pretty lacking. Part of this is the limitations of the format- you cannot require the pcs find a clue because there is no "going back" to re-search an area, so if there's a clue, it's required that they found it even if they didn't. Likewise, there are encounters that end with the room collapsing- yet somehow, at the start of the next session, you have gotten treasure from the defeated enemies now buried in rubble that you didn't have time to search. On the DS one, the characters are riddled with errors, even if some of them are cosmetic (one pc is described as having flame-red hair, but in the pic it's black with blue highlights!). Another encounter switches the size of monsters around. Etc.

Honestly, I don't think the Encounters adventures have the writing or editing budget to be all that hot; they make for good one-encounter games with strangers, but I'd recommend running something else for a home game, personally.

mysticknight232

First Post
I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that the quality of the D&D Encounters adventures is pretty lacking. Part of this is the limitations of the format- you cannot require the pcs find a clue because there is no "going back" to re-search an area, so if there's a clue, it's required that they found it even if they didn't. Likewise, there are encounters that end with the room collapsing- yet somehow, at the start of the next session, you have gotten treasure from the defeated enemies now buried in rubble that you didn't have time to search. On the DS one, the characters are riddled with errors, even if some of them are cosmetic (one pc is described as having flame-red hair, but in the pic it's black with blue highlights!). Another encounter switches the size of monsters around. Etc.

Honestly, I don't think the Encounters adventures have the writing or editing budget to be all that hot; they make for good one-encounter games with strangers, but I'd recommend running something else for a home game, personally.

I'm dissapointed that i'm unable to attend the current DS encounters simply because I want to run around in that world...but I'm not dissapointed because of the serious errors in the DS characters as you've mentioned. I followed the thread on here listing all the mistakes and they're terrible. I would definately be creating my own character if it became available and would not use the pregen's for that at all.

the Jester

Legend
Like I said, it's a limitation of the format, but running it by an editor- or another editor- would be a big step.

I think part of the problem is that things tend to get revised after they are written, and there are sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen.

Festivus

First Post
As far as I know, the only way to play the adventures (and get them) is to work with a FLGS. We are running it at Pasadena, California, and it's been fun. Season 2 has less draw than season 1 did, I think for two reasons: 1, it's longer (15 weeks total) and 2, it's not Forgotten Realms, which the bulk of the people who play at our gamedays play Living Forgotten Realms.

Season 1 adventure was a bit better in the story department (at least so far). I have hopes that Dark Sun will turn out to be more than just running around in the desert.

Season 3 needs to do something to help with the format. Many of us have discussed having some roleplay and skill challenge time alotted, extending it out to 2 hours. This would perhaps allow things to be a bit more episodic, like a TV series, instead of a series of clips of action sequences, which is rather what it feels like right now.

ghaladen

Explorer
Just an FYI, if anyone is interested in watching the DS Encounters, we're recording them and putting them on YouTube. We did half of Season 1, and we're planning on doing all of Season 2.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dndhouston

And yes, I agree that the second season is pretty awful compared to the first. Especially the NPC's. As you can tell in the videos, the DM is struggling to roleplay them.

Anyway, enjoy, comment and subscribe if you can. :)

mysticknight232

First Post
Just an FYI, if anyone is interested in watching the DS Encounters, we're recording them and putting them on YouTube. We did half of Season 1, and we're planning on doing all of Season 2.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dndhouston

And yes, I agree that the second season is pretty awful compared to the first. Especially the NPC's. As you can tell in the videos, the DM is struggling to roleplay them.

Anyway, enjoy, comment and subscribe if you can. :)

Thanks for the post. I'll try to check them out when I have time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads