• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D eXPerience: Core Mechanics (now compiled in 1st post!)

elnopintan

First Post
TerraDave said:
Thats why I had +5 to all my damaging powers!

Weapon Damage: has an ability modifier applied that varies depending on attack type. A wizard will have an int based modifier for his spells, a warlock a cha based one for hers, and so on. (Edit: not 100% sure 1/2 level is added to this).

If you are adding the ability modifier to the damage you are inherntly adding 1/2 level to de damage.
Looking to monster stats seem that only apllies the inherent modifier and not 1/2 level

Last edited:

Bandreus

First Post
TerraDave said:
(the wizards skill training feat is on the sheet)
just can't find that. I only see the Action Surge feat, and then you have the wizard spell on the back. But really I can't find the Wizard training feat anywhere (maybe I should think about glasses)

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
TerraDave said:
Actions: There are standard, move, and minor actions. Shift--a 5' step--is a move action. To draw a weapon is a minor action. Some classes and races have lots of powers that are minor actions, some almost none.

Action Points: Using an action point give you another action on your turn. Not a re-roll. (some other mechanics allow that, but I think there significant is overstated). You start the day with one action point. You can use one per encounter. You get more as you adventure in the day. Thats right. On average one every other encounter. If you don't use them, you loose them, as you only start the day with one.

not finished reading the thread, but I had to comment on this one, as I find it...well, funny at least. I remember when 3.5 nerfed the Haste spell because it gave you an extra partial action and limited it to one more attack. Now 4E hands out extra actions with action points. Obviously, actions are a different sort of currency in 4E than they were in 3E, with a differing underlying game balance. Still strikes me as ironic. :lol:

monboesen

Explorer
I remember when 3.5 nerfed the Haste spell because it gave you an extra partial action and limited it to one more attack. Now 4E hands out extra actions with action points. Obviously, actions are a different sort of currency in 4E than they were in 3E, with a differing underlying game balance. Still strikes me as ironic.

4ed: 1 extra action once per encounter.

3ed: Haste. 1 extra action per round.

Do you see the difference?

JosephK

First Post
We need a few more tidbits, before we can run 4E 'lite' sessions I think :)

I read somewhere else, that the "slowed" condition from the wizards 'sleep spell' reduces the targets move to 2 squares.

Also, seeing as one of the monster stats (the human guard) has a knockdown effect (target goes prone), it would be nice to know how you stand up from prone.. Could be just like 3e I guess.. Move action to stand and provokes AOO.

Also, anyone from the CON know how the skills work out? I'm thinking mainly about "passive insight" and "passive perception"? DCs to detect traps, hidden monsters and so forth? And what the two skills are used to do in general?

Also wondering about climbing and so forth...

EDIT:

Grapple'ish rules from another thread.

Originally Posted by Alethea
One was my own fault--I teleported in by my lonesome to test out the grappling rules. There's no "grapple," ; just a "grab," which is a Strength attack opposed by Reflex defense and immobilizes the target; they can escape with either Acrobatics against your Reflex, or Athletics against your Fortitude. So the DM told me, anyway

Guessing initiating a grap is a standard action.. I guess escaping is a move action? Or a standard action too? Can you attack normally while in a 'grab'? mmmmm.

Last edited:

CoryWhiteland

First Post
Geron,

It seemed to me that 3e haste was changed because it gave an extra spell every round to spellcasters, not because it granted an extra attack to the fighty types. I mean, they kept that in the 3.5 version, after all.
-CW

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Hey TerraDave -- how about collecting all of your confirmed items into the first post (or an attached file) so we can find them in one place?

Thanks.

Good idea, but I can barely keep with my two threads!

Will see what I can do.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Bandreus said:
just can't find that. I only see the Action Surge feat, and then you have the wizard spell on the back. But really I can't find the Wizard training feat anywhere (maybe I should think about glasses)

There may be more then one. (I haven't looked at all the sheets). But the tiefling wizard has skill training:stealth right on the front of his sheet.

Grab: It is a strength attack versus reflex to grap someone. Acrobatics vs endurance or athletics vs fortitude can be used to escape.

zoroaster100

First Post
Any news from D&D Experience players as to what a character can do with a minor action, other than use powers specified as minor actions?

Someone in this thread already mentioned drawing a weapon is minor action.

What about opening a door?

Getting up from prone?

Drinking a potion?

Are these minor, move or standard actions?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads