• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Experience: January 26th-29th, 2012

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
WotC has announced its plans for 2012's Dungeons & Dragons Experience (DDXP) convention, which will run from January 26th-29th in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Events include a special secret D&D adventure with content and pre-gen characters provided by R&D, Living Forgotten Realms, the fourth chapter of the Ashes of Athas campaign, various seminars, and more.

Special guests include Mike Mearls, Monte Cook, Rob Schwalb, Bruce Cordell, Greg Bilsland, Jeremy Crawford, Chris Tulach, Chris Lindsay, Shawn Merwin, and Matt James.

Last edited:

Anselyn

Explorer
"Events include a special secret D&D adventure with content and pre-gen characters provided by R&D" = some sort of playtesting??

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
My guess is that they'll announce 5th edition is being worked on at this point. The special guests will be the design team:

Mike Mearls: Mike is the senior manager for Dungeons & Dragons R&D. He has also worked as a designer and columnist for the weekly Legends and Lore column. His recent D&D credits include Player’s Handbook 3, Hammerfast, Monster Manual 3, and the Castle Ravenloft board game.

Monte Cook: Monte has worked as a professional writer and game designer since 1988. Monte was one of the three principal designers of 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons and the d20 system. He has worked on numerous RPG products, and has published two novels, numerous short stories, countless articles, and a comic book series for Marvel.

Rob Schwalb: Rob is an award-winning game designer who has contributed design or developed over one hundred roleplaying game titles for Dungeons & Dragons, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, Star Wars RPG, and the d20 System.

Bruce Cordell: Bruce is an Origins and ENnie award-winning game designer whose long list of professional credits includes Gamma World, Dark Sun Campaign Setting, Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, Prince of Undeath, and Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead. Bruce is also an author of Forgotten Realms novels, including the Abolethic Sovereignty series and Sword of the Gods.

Greg Bilsland: Greg is a producer for Dungeons & Dragons at Wizards of the Coast, where he works on developing content for D&D Insider and the D&D Organized Play programs. His design credits include the Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide, Monster Manual 2, Monster Manual 3, and Vor Rukoth. He keeps a gaming blog at gregbilsland.com and is active on Twitter ([MENTION=15433]GregB[/MENTION]ilsland).

Jeremy Crawford: Jeremy is the lead rules editor for Dungeons & Dragons at Wizards of the Coast. His design and development credits include the Rules Compendium, all the other books in the Dungeons & Dragons Essentials line, and Player’s Handbook 1–3. Jeremy also co-hosts the official Dungeons & Dragons podcast.

Chris Tulach: Chris is the Dungeons & Dragons program manager for Organized Play at Wizards of the Coast. He is responsible for the development and deployment of Dungeons & Dragons organized play programs, including D&D Encounters and D&D Lair Assault. He is also the co-author of Kingdom of the Ghouls.

Chris Lindsay: Chris is an assistant brand manager for Dungeons & Dragons, where he contributes to the direction of the future of the D&D brand. He has been playing and DMing D&D for most of his life and has been constantly involved in organized play for over a decade. He has also contributed to the design and development of dozens of organized play adventures and D&D products, most notably adventures for Legacy of the Green Regent and Expedition to Undermountain.

Shawn Merwin: Shawn is a technical writer and freelance game designer. His design work for Wizards of the Coast includes Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress, Dungeon Delve, “Backdrop: Moonshae Isles,” and the upcoming Halls of Undermountain.

Matt James: Matt James is a freelance writer and game designer for companies such as Wizards of the Coast and Open Design (publishers of Dungeons & Dragons and Kobold Quarterly respectively).

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Too long of a drive. Even if it were closer, I wouldn't go because WotC hasn't sold stuff that has interested me since 2008 (except for Dungeon Tiles).

At the same time I'm really hoping that they make a 5th edition that pulls me back into the fold... because I love D&D in (almost) all of its incarnations.

William Ronald

Explorer
Morrus, it should read Fort Wayne, Indiana as per the WoTC statement.

Like last year, D&D Experience is taking place in Fort Wayne, Indiana at the Grand Wayne Convention Center.

Fort Wayne is in the northwest part of Indiana, while Indianapolis is in the central part of the state. So, it would be a bit of a ride between a hotel in Indianapolis to the convention center in Fort Wayne. ;)

I would not be shocked if there is a 5E announcement. (It is a good venue for WotC to get the word out on such a major development.) I am not sure how fans of various editions of Dungeons and Dragons would react to such an announcement but it would indeed be newsworthy.

Inferno!

Explorer
Sorry to nitpick, but it's NOT in Indianapolis January 26th-29th, 2012. During that time, Indy is hosting a little event known as Super Bowl XLVI.

Fort Wayne, Indiana is about 2 hours northeast of Indianapolis.

Last edited:

Remove ads