[D&D] Guns and Ammo

Aaron2

Explorer
What we do ...

We use the rules out of the DMG with one exception. Gunpowder weapon are Simple weapons to shoot, but Exotic weapons to reload.

If you don't have the Exotic Prof, you can fire a pistol as a simple weapon, but if you reload it, it will misfire on a to hit roll of 1-5

If you do have the Exotic Prof then it will only misfire on a 1.

Aaron

mmadsen

First Post
Historically, the introduction of firearms did not spell the end of longbows and crossbows for quite some time, and it took quite some time to progress from simple matchlock weapons (the trigger literally moves a burning match/fuse near the powder) to flinklock muskets (the trigger strikes flint to steel, creating a spark).

In fiction, heroes continued to lead cavalry charges of lancers and fight hand-to-hand with swords into the 20th century.

If you want firearms available but rare, make them Exotic weapons that cost a lot. If you want them to be easy to use (as they were) but rare, make them Simple but expensive. Either way, they should have a very low rate of fire, making them appropriate for low-level grunts but not our high-level heroes. They're noisy crossbows.

The real use for gunpowder is in siege artillery.

Andor

First Post
As another point of interest, lots of people like to speculate on how technology will impact a fantasy world but few speculate on how magic could improve technology.

Fer example: What if instead of a slow progression from from matchlock through wheellock and flintlock, the gunsmith simply had the breech enchanted with a command word activated 0 level spark cantrip. Now the firearm can have a completely sealed breech, making it far more water reisistant, and reliable. In fact your biggest problem would now be an anti-magic zone! Likewise you could enchant a water-repellant powder horn.

Remember the scene in the Three Musketeers where their servants are reloading muskets like mad while they hold off the English? Invisible servants or skeletons, or minor golems could all serve that function.

Sure, gunpowder might be an equalizer between mages and other people, but what if the mages can use magic to make better guns?

How about an assasin whose musket is enchanted with a permanent silence?

-Andor

MythandLore

First Post
Thorvald Kviksverd said:
Variable Crit Multiplier: The Crit Mult is tied to the number rolled to score the threat. ex: 1d8/18-20/x2-x4; 18=x2, 19=x3, 20=x4; or x3-x5 etc...
I came up with an idea exactly like that, I'm not sure if I'm going to use it for my rules though.

Tetsubo

First Post
I used them in my last campaign. I kept them rare by requiring dragon guano as a key ingrediant in the smokepowder. This made them the toys of the rich and special government military units. The wealthiest nobles would keep small units of Dragoons as status symbols. They were also used by PC's. I do agree they should be an Exotic weapon.

There are a number of real worl combination weapons that would fit right into a 3E campaign. Early firearms were added to: crossbows, axes, swords, daggers, maces, hammers, staves and shields. I think these are quintissential dwarven items. :)

I like the progressive criitcal suggestion. Makes the firearm attractive and deadly. Anyone know how Twin Crowns: Age of Exploration Fantasy handles firearms?

gnfnrf

First Post
I introduced firearms into my (recently concluded) Planescape campaign when one of my players expressed interest in playing a character modelled on The Gunslinger from the Steven King books.

The firearms, which are Civil War era single action 6 shot revolvers, were modelled as follows.

d10 damage, x3 critical modifier. range increment 100 feet.
Full iterative attacks+rapid shot were allowed, but only because of the prestige class the character was in (modified Order of the Bow Initiate).

When engaging targets with damage reduction, half the firearm damage is treated as sonic damage.

A +5 (Mighty) damage bonus due to the power of gunpowder was introduced after the first session, when the guns were underperforming.

This worked out pretty well for my game. The guns were powerful, but then, they were supposed to be, to compete with 15th level characters and intelligent weapons.

--
gnfnrf

LostSoul

Adventurer
Frostmarrow said:
Some people think that guns should inflict huge amounts of damage and possibly kill targets instantly. It might be reasonable as a bullet through your head can make you very dead. However, a dagger through your heart can be just as lethal.

Considering the abstract mechanic of hit points - you just can't hit a high level fighter - the inability to parry and dodge bullets could be expressed as a higher damage die.

Remove ads