• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D - Hobby or game?

SemperJase

First Post
The thread on marketing D&D got me thinking.

To market it, you first need to decide what it is. Most of us consider it a game. But there is no winner like a game. You don't play against other participants.

I see it as more hobby like. It is open ended. There really is not an end to it. You collect things (accessories, dice, minis). The time investment can be extensive. For some people it is a lifestyle.

So should it be presented as a hobby or a game?

Xeriar

First Post
Roleplaying is a hobby, D&D is a game which is a part of (and started) said hobby.

When you sit down with a half dozen people on an adventure, you are playing the game. When you buy the books, design said adventures, monsters, and so forth, you are participating in the hobby.

John Crichton

First Post
I think it is both. A unique combination.

It is a game because there are rules, but these rules are meant to be bend and contorted to fit the needs of the specific group of people involved.

It is a hobby because it can involve aspects of things that have little to do with the actual playing of the game (painting minis, crafting terrain, creating other materials - written or otherwise).

If I had to pick I would say it leans more toward being a game. It requires dedication (weekly gatherings), knowledge of the rules, strategy (social or combate related) and teamwork. These are hallmarks of organized sports and are considered games.

As for myself, I take my RPG's pretty seriously. I like to try and play on a regular basis and am always the one organizing the session (even if I'm not the DM). I know there are many others who do the same. :)

Utrecht

First Post
Considering how much I spend on it.... definately hobby -

However, it alos just so happens to involve playing a game. But also includes world building, socialization, creative thinking etc.......

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
IT IS THE PATH OF EVIL! D&D WILL TURN YOU INTO A MONSTER! ESPECIALLY IF YOU READ DRAG MAG 300!!!

!!!

Oh, wait, nevermind. Yeah, it's a game for some, and a hobby for people like us.

Breakdaddy

First Post
Im going with the concensus here, I agree completely that it combines elements of both game and hobby (and as one post mentioned, often obsession :) )

Thorntangle

First Post
I'd say D&D is a very involved game that can branch out into hobby areas like miniatures, scenery, and other media. But not truly in and of itself a hobby. Think of a MMORPG - you can spend a lot of time on it, but I would never call it a hobby.

I always think of wargaming as the prototypical Hobby/Game. The hobby side can't be separated from the game side as easily as it can with D&D. Think of Warhammer and Warhammer 40k. A person wanting to play a game of Warhammer can't even start until he/she does hours and hours of model assembly, not to mention painting, scenery creation, etc. With D&D, theoretically, with a quickstart game, a group of novices could sit down and play a game with about 15 minutes preparation.

rathor

First Post
no no.

It is a lifestyle. D&D consumes your ever being. It summons you to a new plane in the service of the almighty WOTC. Feebleminds your RL. It is not a game, it is not a hobby, it just IS.

okay, okay.... an obsession.

Remove ads