• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Director/Cast Interviews begin as marketing ramps up!

MarkB

Legend
It's also kind-of Chris Pine's thing. In the Star Trek movies, while he comes through in the end, getting beaten up is pretty much his schtick.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I was focusing on emasculating leading men with women, Galadriel in Rings of Power, Willow, She-Hulk does it to the Hulk, Thor is emasculated in his own movie, the female Ghostbusters and their male (and incapable) assistant, and these are just off the top of my head. It feels like it is in more Marvel movies than not. Top Gun was the exception to the rule (also not Marvel…)

If you expand this to ‘females being better at X’ and not care about the emasculation part, then there are even more. This is a well worn trope at this point. If you think this is fresh, you did skip the last 10 years.
Galadriel is the main character. There wasn't a leading man, going back to when Tolkien wrote the inspirational works.
She-Hulk is the main character, of course she's the focus.
The only Thor movie where Thor wasn't the main character was the one where he shared the leading role. He wasn't emasculated.

The standard in action films is still that the leading man/character is the main perpetrator of violence.
That doesn't seem true in this Honor Among Thieves.

The funny fact here is those female characters in a D&D game could be played by boys, something like Lara Croft in Tomb Raider.

I am thinking about to buy the action figures of Holga and Doric for my nephews. She is 11y and he is 5y. Sorry, I have changed my opinion. They are too expensive. They are for collectors, not for children.

mamba

Legend
nGaladriel is the main character. There wasn't a leading man, going back to when Tolkien wrote the inspirational works.
She-Hulk is the main character, of course she's the focus.
No idea who the main char in Rings of Power is, but I am ok with throwing her in the second group of movies where women are better at anything than the men. She-Hulk outdoes the Hulk on day one when he is trying to show her what it means to be a Hulk, that was the emasculating part. You can do that to someone who is not the leading man too, I am not sure Pine is the lead in HAT either, sounds more like a buddy movie than having one lead.

The only Thor movie where Thor wasn't the main character was the one where he shared the leading role. He wasn't emasculated.
I am talking about the latest one, but it probably is true for all but the first. If your argument is about semantics,. i.e. whether someone qualifies as a leading man in a movie, then I am not interested, Pine is no more leading char in HAT than Thor is in Thor 3 as far as I am concerned, so I am not sure what this is supposed to accomplish.

The standard in action films is still that the leading man/character is the main perpetrator of violence.
That doesn't seem true in this Honor Among Thieves.
What makes you say Pine is more in the lead than the other members of the party?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
What makes you say Pine is more in the lead than the other members of the party?
He's filling the party face role, as a bard. His clips show him as the leader of the group. Doric even asks what he does and his response is "I plan."
There's no doubt that he's the lead and that he's the headliner (ads list his name first).

mamba

Legend
He's filling the party face role, as a bard. His clips show him as the leader of the group. Doric even asks what he does and his response is "I plan."
There's no doubt that he's the lead and that he's the headliner (ads list his name first).
Hemsworth is listed first on the last Thor movie, where you do not consider him the lead. Ultimately I do not care whether you consider Thor to be the lead in the movie named after him or Pine here for some reason, if you think a worn out trope is funny and fresh because it has been done a hundred times before but not to what you consider a leading man, be my guest. To me it is still a worn out trope. That is why I have no idea why Daley considers it funny and fresh, apart from him not having paid any attention to movies over the last 10 years.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
Dude, come on.
Several unconnected plots, some guy who fell from the sky recently and has a good chance to be that. It also doesn’t help that she is very much the antithesis of a good leader, so basically anyone else would be a better lead than her, heck between her and Sauron, I’d root for Sauron. Even the elves cannot stand her and wanted to get rid of her…
I meant what I said, there is no clear lead to me.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
DALEY: Swear to God, it wasn’t. We liked that Holga is the bruiser that does the dirty work for Edgin, and he doesn’t like to get his hands dirty. We also love emasculating leading men.
I call BS on this quote. There's no way the people making the movie would actually say that about-

...huh. Okay then. :oops:

Remove ads