• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D implicated as possible cause in assault case.

kevtar

First Post
Ridiculous. Here is a story from Salt Lake City. I lived in UT for a long time, and I found most people there surprisingly open-minded to D&D. In light of my personal experience, I find it interesting that the report places D&D as the primary cause for assault in this case, with very little emphasis given to any other possible factors (i.e. medication, jealousy, or pre-existing conditions).

Man bound over for trial in hammer attacks - Salt Lake Tribune

Kez Darksun

Explorer
A reporter engaging in sensationalist journalism? I'm shocked! Shocked I say.

Hopefully someone actually does their job and investigates the whole story behind the attack.

weem

First Post
Haha, love this comment there...

"Testimony Monday suggested a motive for the attacks may have grown from the trio playing the fantasy role-playing game 'Dungeons and Dragons' and jealousy over a girl who King and Bryson knew."

It was the only girl they know, and she also happens to be King's mother.

haha

Scribble

First Post
Ridiculous. Here is a story from Salt Lake City. I lived in UT for a long time, and I found most people there surprisingly open-minded to D&D. In light of my personal experience, I find it interesting that the report places D&D as the primary cause for assault in this case, with very little emphasis given to any other possible factors (i.e. medication, jealousy, or pre-existing conditions).

Man bound over for trial in hammer attacks - Salt Lake Tribune

I'm not really bothered by this one so much though because it doesn't seem to be trying to paint D&D as the "cause" only one of the motives.

The cause still remains that dude was messed up in the head.

Jack7

First Post
Detective Michael Bleak testified that during an interview at the police station, King told him he went home after playing the game at Shokrian's house, took an over-the-counter sleeping potion and went to bed. He awakened angry and psionic, as will often happen with war-forged berserker dwarves, found a magical hammer calling to him in rune-speak in a tool shed and drove to Shokrian's house, entering through an open window in the underground basement. Shadow-thief style.

Bleak said King told him he went to Shokrian's bedroom and said, "I hate you, begone foul denizen of the underworld!" and started pummeling Shokrian with the hammer. King then went to the room where Logan was sleeping and attacked him. Fortunately for Logan his adamantium skeleton prevented most of the permanent harm from being inflicted by the cursed weapon. His anger assuaged and the spell broken King then burst into tears, sat down heavily on the polyurethane floor, and began to mutter, "Oh, heavy wears the head that often waters full in me." His lament done King then offered to shave his own head with the ancient relic of Skulljar and DM the next three games at a negative 4 penalty in recompense for his deed.

Bleak said that King had an issue with Bryson for dating a girl after both said they would not date her. Often known in gamer circles as Herr Fraulein Klondike, the magical mystery tour Gen-Con babe, she is a well endowed Eleven-Dragonborn hybrid who often evokes extreme fits of rage and jealousy in many of those who frequent the Las Vegas strip on so-called "midnight gaming trips."

Klondike was unavailable for comment but through her internet publicist she stated that she has never heard of any of the parties involved and in any case would only date men from Romania, or possibly Borneo. She did however say that she was available for jury duty at any time a case involved Mr. OJ Simpson.

Yeah, I can see how this got real ugly real quick.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads