• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Insider Character Builder Open Beta live

silentounce

First Post

Do you need someone telling you that you are banned for a month? Because that is what has just happened.

You've had a weeks ban within the last month for offensive posting, so this time it goes up a notch.

If you want to participate in ENworld in the future, you must revise your standards of discourse.

Thank you. What kind of cookies do you like? I'll have my wife bake you some. It shouldn't cost that much to ship them to the UK.

:)

Rel

Liquid Awesome

Please, everyone. It's unseemly to go high fiving after a ban.

Correct. And please no sending cookies to moderators for banning somebody as that looks suspiciously like bribery. Leave the cookie sending to us fellow moderators who, I assure you, will see to it that Plane Sailing gets his "just desserts".

Mercule

Adventurer
Well, despite nearly convincing me to disagree, so I didn't have to stand next to him, jan did have a good point. I've found that the RPGA table rules that differ from the core tend to universally annoy me and are exactly the sort of rules I don't want to play under.

With the final release of the software, we're supposed to be able to implement house rules. I really hope that this includes the ability to "grandfather" or re-implement some things that run counter to the latest RPGA stuff. For example, while I can see where the minotaur/goliath with an oversized weapon is unbalanced, I find it irreconcilable to remove that ability from the PC version of the race while leaving it for the NPCs. I would like the ability to include it in my campaign.

Festivus

First Post
With the final release of the software, we're supposed to be able to implement house rules. I really hope that this includes the ability to "grandfather" or re-implement some things that run counter to the latest RPGA stuff. For example, while I can see where the minotaur/goliath with an oversized weapon is unbalanced, I find it irreconcilable to remove that ability from the PC version of the race while leaving it for the NPCs. I would like the ability to include it in my campaign.

I am sure you will be able to do that. While I disagree with you about monsters having to be built with the same system the PCs are, I do agree that the system should be as flexible as possible.

Mercule

Adventurer
I am sure you will be able to do that. While I disagree with you about monsters having to be built with the same system the PCs are, I do agree that the system should be as flexible as possible.
I don't care if PCs and NPCs use the same system. It's the end result that matters. If NPC goliaths wield big freakin' weapons because they're somewhat oversized, then PC goliaths should be able to, as well. If it's unbalanced for PCs, just say it's not a PC-able race -- isn't that pretty much what you'd say about a pit fiend? The only difference is scale.

I'll make the concession that it could be the "big" racial ability or that it could even require a feat (or feat tree) to do, but a PC needs the potential.

One of the things I hated about oD&D was the long tradition of having NPCs (usually wizards) who could do some interesting things or make neat toys that the PCs never could. "Because he's an NPC" is an absolutely horrid reason for an ability. Make it require 40 years of study or the bartering away of one's soul or something else prohibitive, just don't make it truly impossible.

With the over-sized weapons, I'm just afraid that there is no good excuse, though. It's inherent to the race, for NPCs.

I'm not saying that the PCs and NPCs need the same builds or stats. But saying that PC goliaths cannot use oversized weapons is as ridiculous as saying PC wizards can't cast fire spells. Sure, an NPC wizard may have a rechargeable fire spell, while the PC doesn't, but they can both do it. Maybe the goliath gets a racial daily stance that lets him wield oversized weapons for the duration of the encounter -- it tires him out, but he can do it when the chips are down.

vic20

Fool
When you actually say something technical, then maybe you will have some credibility in what you pop off.

Here's some Java code for you:

Code:
System.gc();

Back on topic: I imagine that the final product will allow for flexibility at least to the point where you'll be able to customize your weapon to do whatever damage you want. It'll be marked "houseruled" but you should be able to be a Minotaur with a big sword.

diaglo

Adventurer
One of the things I hated about oD&D was the long tradition of having NPCs (usually wizards) who could do some interesting things or make neat toys that the PCs never could. "Because he's an NPC" is an absolutely horrid reason for an ability. Make it require 40 years of study or the bartering away of one's soul or something else prohibitive, just don't make it truly impossible.

actually PCs could make items in OD&D. it just required the player to write it up and get the referee to make a ruling. it also required gobs and gobs of gold. a well stocked lab. and most of the time... time and material exotic components. and then there was still a chance it failed. and they had to start over...

which many groups were very much against doing... taking time off from adventuring to wait for the crafter.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
This is an awesome idea! I really hope they eventually implement something like this.
Technologically speaking, WotC just needs to implement functionality allowing DMs to export their house rules for their players to import. Then third-party publishers can use the same functionality to share their crunch with their consumers. I don't know about the licensing considerations, however.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads