D&D is so METAL

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Red Fang FTW!

Here is my vote, Portland, OR metal band Red Fang:
Video: Red Fang - Prehistoric Dog

Red_Fang.jpg

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGH! Nice dress Gandolf!

imurphy943

First Post
Nope, for this thread it's Rob Zombie, or Cannibal Corpse. Perhaps a little alt-rock with Dead Can Dance. Grateful Dead if you want to go classic.

I meant in that Led Zeppelin came first, and is radically different from our current definition of metal.

P.S.: I always wanted to do a dungeonland style adventure, set entirely to Dead songs e.g. cosmic charlie, china cat sunflower, what's become of the baby

May the Headmaster of the Metal School chime in?

Led Zepplin, though heavy and very much an influence on many later HM bands were themselves just a heavy rock hippie group. HM began with Black Sabbath... Yes, Steppenwolf may have coined the phrase and Led Zep were crowned the "Hammer of the gods", but neither are really true metal acts soup to nuts. Sabbath had it all, from the beginning, including scaring the ba-jezus out of their audiences just by playing music (or as their former manager said when they opened for the Doors - "The crowd began booing after the first song, reviled and recoiled in horror and then began leaving. That's a real accomplishment, getting someone to leave a Doors concert."

That being said - 4e is Slipknot...
OD&D - Sabbath
1e - Judas Priest
2e - Iron Maiden
3e - Metallica/Anthrax/Slayer/Megadeath (they were all ground breaking)

School's out - forever .... :cool: or so sayth the Cooper.

S'mon

Legend
M
2e - Iron Maiden

Odd, the Irons are my favourite* Metal band, yet 'Angry Mothers from Heck' 2e is my least favourite edition of D&D :erm:

*My current Swords & Sorcery 4e campaign Southlands has a very strong Iron Maiden influence, eg I'll often play[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDd-GXkMrJs"] Run to the Hills [/ame] while working on the Red Altanian vs White Nerathi conflict.

imurphy943

First Post
Led Zepplin, though heavy and very much an influence on many later HM bands were themselves just a heavy rock hippie group. HM began with Black Sabbath... Yes, Steppenwolf may have coined the phrase and Led Zep were crowned the "Hammer of the gods", but neither are really true metal acts soup to nuts. Sabbath had it all, from the beginning, including scaring the ba-jezus out of their audiences just by playing music (or as their former manager said when they opened for the Doors - "The crowd began booing after the first song, reviled and recoiled in horror and then began leaving. That's a real accomplishment, getting someone to leave a Doors concert."

True, but from my point of view, OD&D is extremely different from what we now think of as D&D, and AD&D was where they actually got big, went beyond pamphlets with passable art, and started getting the religious activists riled up.

Of course, this is speaking from my point of view as a dabbler in everything rock from Chuck Berry to Alice in Chains, so I don't expect my opinion to be shared.

True, but from my point of view, OD&D is extremely different from what we now think of as D&D, and AD&D was where they actually got big, went beyond pamphlets with passable art, and started getting the religious activists riled up.

Of course, this is speaking from my point of view as a dabbler in everything rock from Chuck Berry to Alice in Chains, so I don't expect my opinion to be shared.
Oh, I neither fault you for your POV or reasons. I was just putting us all back on the metal page. :)
If you wanted to go over arching musical influence and what they would represent I would go with:
OD&D - Gregorian plainchant (the real monophonic stuff not the updated modern versions)
1e - early Baroque - charming and sweet but not quite there
2e - Smooth Jazz - all the intricacies of regular Jazz without the dirty stuff
3e - Hard Rock - widely accepted by a wide audience but a little over the top
3.5 - Progressive Metal - less accepted by the masses because it gets complicated
4e - The Wiggles....or Pop music - mass produced to pull in those that otherwise wouldn't listen and in smaller bite sized doses.

(I'm a former professional musician and music producer, metal is my favorite but hardly my only dalliance - producers need to keep their ear on the ground at all times. ;) )

My real feelings about D&D and metal are that they have very little in common outside of the combat. I use classical soundtracks and historical music to back up my games, modern stuff reminds me of why 80s fantasy movies are less appealing than the modern stuff. (i.e. Ladyhawke was a great movie but the soundtrack, though written and performed by Alan Parsons, who is an incredible musician and composer, just makes me bristle with uuggghh)

Last edited:

Remove ads