• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Metal

Dargrimm

First Post
Yes, me too. I was expecting something about Blind Guardian, Dio or Rhapsody :p

On the topic: adamantine is black and mithtil is silver, or at least this is how I've always imagined them to be.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
What is the color of adamantine weapons/armor? What is the color of mithral? Ive looked in the DMG but these are not described.

My preference for magical metal colors has always been:

Mythril/mithral -- Slightly blue-tinted silver.
Adamantine -- Gunmetal. Not as dark as hematite, but not as bright as steel.
Oricalcum -- Akin to rose gold, possibly darker red in some uses.
"Cold"/"Deep" iron -- Truly black. Can still be reflective, like obsidian.

Also, I like the idea that fantasy "cobalt" is actually bright blue in color, and I'm not at all opposed to some kind of metal (possibly one with ties to nature) being green.

Edit:
I'll also add that, when I read the title, I wondered, "Does that mean music, or does that mean materials?"

Last edited:

MG.0

First Post
In the Gord the Rogue novels by Gary Gygax, pure Adamantine is sky blue. That's how I have always imagined it, since I read those books very early on.

the Jester

Legend
There was a 1e-era Dragon article that described mithral as silvery. Adamantine was described as a metal with hints of color in it, possibly blue, green or black or something like that- I don't recall the exact colors suggested. But adamantine, according to said article, comes in various colors.

Then there's orichalcum, which I always see as a sort of redder copper color, Baatorian steel (greenish), obdurium (I don't think it has ever been described- it's in the 3e Stronghold Builder's Guidebook) and probably some other exotic metals out there somewhere.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads