• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Miniatures Handbook Opinion

Marimmar

First Post
I got myself the Miniatures Handbook yesterday and skimmed over the rules. My first impression was very positive but there are some things that irk me.

Most of the 'Sudden Metamagic' Feats are nice additions to a wizard's arsenal of Feats but since they didn't distinguish between power levels of the Feats, Sudden Maximise Spell being on the same level as a Sudden Still Spell with the same requirements looks just plain wrong to me. 'Sudden Maximise', 'Sudden Quicken' and 'Sudden Empower' could possibly all be abused IMHO.

As for the spells, the 'Legion' versions of some spells are nice for a 4 character party but when those spells are applied to an eight player party with animal companions they look horribly overpowered. A sudden boost of 4 AC points from a single Legion Shield of Faith spell for a total of 10 creatures/characters just looks wrong to me. The should have limited the spells somewhat IMHO.

The same is true for the Marshal's (a new base class) aura effects. When applied to a moderate number of beings, they would be okay, but given the fact that my party consists of about 10 possible combatants, any bonus from these auras is multiplied to an absurd degree (just like the Bard's inspire courage ability and believe me when I say 10 x +2 is much worse than 4 x +2.)

~Marimmar

Li Shenron

Legend
Haven't taken a look yet at the LGS, but what I have read in the Wizards' site already discouraged me. I really dislike how the whole game works, and how the D&D rules are simplified. The rest sounds to me as the next bunch of crunchy bits I would use few of, since I already have tons to choose from.

Marimmar

First Post
I don't mind them simplifying the rules but the simplifications have to be reasonable. As for the spells section in the MHB, I like the short descriptions of the new spells very much. Nothing stops a game more than some spell caster that casts a 2-paragraph spell whose total effects are almost unknown to him/her.

~Marimmar

Li Shenron

Legend
Don't mind my comment too much! :) I think I am just biased against the idea itself of playing a simplified combat game instead of the "full" D&D, that's it.

Remove ads