• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Minis... Who is bumbed about the end of production?

enigma5915

Explorer
I am curious about real feedback and opinions regarding this change in business.

I have been using miniatures in D&D since the mid 80's. I even started using a grid with 1 inch to 5 foot scale before by ‘89. I started collecting Ral Partha led minis in junior high about ‘87. I have a large selection by the end of high school and was not too shabby at painting and all the "fun that came with that. By 2000 I had about 500 lead and pewter minis, most of them painted. It was a real pain in the butt, to keep them in good shape and transport them to games. I did most of the DM’ing for my groups and provided minis even when I was a player.
In 2002, I had opened my own game store and shortly after...D&D minis came out! I couldn’t believe my eyes. Pre-painted plastic minis! The quality wasn’t the best, but damn...it was good enough. The cost per mini was about $1-$1.5 a figure. that was absolutely amazing. Minis have never been real affordable. I remember paying $1-$5 per metal figure that I still had to prime, paint, and coat. That doesn’t even cover the one that had to be glued together. So the D&D mini line was the best thing since sliced bread and the undo button in my opinion. I could take a D&D figure and chuck it against the wall and no damage to the min...try doing that with a painted metal figurine. Not that there is a reason to, but it demonstrates the ability to transport them in bins all thrown to together without scratching, bending and/or breaking.
A year into their release, I couldn’t keep them in stock at my store...they were hot sellers. I gave away my entire metal figure collection to friends and customers and started my own collection of DDM. I had such a huge following of customers for DDM that I thought this line would never go away. Alas, I lost my store in a divorce in 2005, but I have been collecting DDM like they are crack ever since. My collection is now over 7,000... I’ve stopped counting and I still want more minis, more options, and more of a variety. There are so many minis that still have yet to have been made. The news of the line being axed....just blew me away! I am still in disbelief I guess... I am curious....what do others think? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
...bumbed...?

I have what I need, most bought on the secondary market, though my collection is less than 250 pieces. I would like to see more sets, and I do not think collectible sets are going to do it for me. I got the gargantuan blue and would probably get the red if it were still 100.00 or so.

The beholder set has no interest for me. I do not know what 'collectible' sets WOTC will come up with, but I cannot really think of anything I would want to see.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I am sad, but I'm sure if they were making money off them they would have continued making minis.

If they keep making quality double sided non-random tokens, I'll be happy.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Nope - not terribly 'bumbed' myself. I have 1000s of the little buggers and made a nice profit on the rare ones about a year or so ago recouping all my expenses plus extra. Lords of Madness was a high note to go out on and I do look forward to the collectible sets they have talked about. Not beholders though - I have 5 thanks!

Primal

First Post
I am!

I was strongly against using battlemaps or minis until a couple of years ago when my players prompted me to try them, and I was instantly hooked. Since then I've bought boosters on an irregular fashion, and my collection is still modest. However, I have players with vast collections and fellow GMs who gladly let me borrow theirs, and I can get whatever I want from the secondary market. But still there's really no comparison to tearing open that box and discovering your first Beholder, or Large Dragon, for example. If I had 3-4 minis of every creature type, I wouldn't probably enjoy it as much, but I think I would still buy one or two packs every now and then.

I know I can get unpainted minis, but those have always been available; if I enjoyed painting them, I probably would have bought more metal minis in the past. Here's the thing: I'm really crappy at painting (although I'd probably do a better paint job than I've seen on some WoTC minis in the latest sets) and I'm too impatient and busy to paint them myself. I could buy tokens, but I want to use my dungeon tiles and minis for their visual appeal and effect; in addition, cardboard tokens are not only easily lost or broken, they also look pretty lame next to PC minis. And that's my biggest issue with them. I guess Fiery Dragon's metal tokens might be more durable, but I'd still prefer cutout cardboard figures with stands, if someone produced them.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I have used a mat and minis since the early 90s and was a big fan of those minis.

But I am not that bummed, as I can usually find what I want in the secondary market. Which I guess is the problem: I have not bought as new in years.

Am curios though if there are any examples of missing minis that should still be made.

Mengu

First Post
I'm a little bumbed. Just wanted to say that. Bumbed. It's fun. Couldn't tell you how bumbed I am. Or why I'm bumbed. But I'm bumbed. :p

Nullzone

Explorer
I am; they add flair to the game in ways that cardboard tokens and paper standees never can.

I don't personally consider reaper a good alternative because they stand out among the WotC plastic ones, and the scaling of them isn't always respectful of the 1" square. It's hard to use a lot of them in close to eachother. I'm also violently opposed to painting my own so even if there wasn't a scaling problem I wouldn't want a bunch of nondescript silver bits on the board, either.

Sad all around, I just hope that most of the stores I have been buying minis from have stocks around for a while and the prices don't skyrocket :(

Remove ads