• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Minis... Who is bumbed about the end of production?

NewJeffCT

First Post
I am disappointed, if only because I always look forward to acquiring new miniatures. I enjoy looking at the various minis online or in the store, then I imagine an encounter with one of them, or a group of them.

For example, I saw the drow "Champion of Eilistraee" miniature and said, "I have to design an encounter for that miniature" and I did, and she became a memorable villain as she escaped from the party three times before the ultimate showdown, and she killed a PC each encounter as well.

Champion_of_Eilistraee.jpg

Last edited:

Lancelot

Adventurer
Not bumbed. I have several thousand DDM figures, and my problem is rapidly becoming storage rather than quantity or variety.

For those lacking sufficient figures at the moment, there is a huge secondary market (incl. massive quantity and variety of all the basic figures you need).

Also, consider the next set of DDM if they hadn't made this decision:

• The usual complaints about sculpt/paint from the "fans".
  • At least 50% of the figures are going to be variants on things we already have in massive numbers (goblins, orcs, elves, etc).
  • A handful of PC minis that rarely, if ever, exactly match a player's concept of their character anyway (...so why not just use one of the many PC minis already released?)
  • Rising production costs (oil, falling value of $USD vs China, etc) results in fewer "minis per dollar" (or more "dollars per mini"), leading to more complaints about the value of the product.
  • Decreasing demand (many gamers have already switched to buying singles, because they have thousands of DDMs already) leads to poor sales, which impacts WotC profitability, which impacts the entire D&D product line.
So, it's pretty difficult to feel bumbed. This is a decision that is probably positive for our hobby, as it focuses WotC's efforts on successful, money-making products (which, in turn, should guarantee a continued flow of such products).

...but I'd love to see a one-off Gamma World minis set. Gun-toting badgers, vegepygmies and froghemoths for the Win!

Primal

First Post
I have used a mat and minis since the early 90s and was a big fan of those minis.

But I am not that bummed, as I can usually find what I want in the secondary market. Which I guess is the problem: I have not bought as new in years.

Am curios though if there are any examples of missing minis that should still be made.

I'd need wereravens and ordinary crows/ravens -- preferably a swarm version of the latter, too -- for an adventure I'm writing. AFAIK no such minis exist yet. I'll probably use imps, drakes or stirges for crows; harpies, gargoyles or owlbears might work as dire corbies, but since the adventure is aimed at newbies, I had hoped to use "perfect" minis for all the critters.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Not too bummed.

Thanks to DDM, I now have a lot of miniatures.

If they don't make any more miniatures, then I won't see any beautiful miniatures which make me think, "Boy, I really want a few of those!"

Just like canceling books, canceling DDM wil save me a decent bit of money this year.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
I'd need wereravens and ordinary crows/ravens -- preferably a swarm version of the latter, too -- for an adventure I'm writing. AFAIK no such minis exist yet. I'll probably use imps, drakes or stirges for crows; harpies, gargoyles or owlbears might work as dire corbies, but since the adventure is aimed at newbies, I had hoped to use "perfect" minis for all the critters.

Could you not use Kenku for the Wereravens? I think there are a couple in the DDM line that would do a good job.

As for the OP, I'm pretty bummed about the line being cancelled, like a lot of people have already mentioned, time is an issue for metal miniatures, I also find that getting hold of some DnD monsters to be next to impossible through other sources.

As for what I'd like to see, well a Dark Sun collection would be nice

enigma5915

Explorer
Am curios though if there are any examples of missing minis that should still be made.

Here is my list of wanted minis

Black pudding
Green slime
Grey ooz
Cave fisher
Gremlins
Howler
Chaos shards
Drakes
Stonefist defender
clay scout
Medusa with a serpentine body
Retriever
Sprigans
Witherlings
New familiar minis
New spider sculpts
New drider sculpts
New lizardfolk sculpts
New cloaker sculpts
New demon sculpts
New devil sculpts
New chromatic dragon sculpts
New hag sculpts
New elemental sculpts
New yuant-ti sculpts
New draconian sculpts
new formorian sculpts
new cyclops sculpts
New translucent ghost sculpts of various races
New skeleton sculpts of various races
New giant insect sculpts
New oni sculpts
New preditory vine sculpts
New warforge sculpts for PCs
New human sculpts for PCs
New elf sculpts for PCs
New dwarf sculpts for PCs
New half elf sculpts for PCs
New halfling sculpts for PCs
New eladrin sculpts for PCs
New genasi sculpts for PCs
New half orc sculpts for PCs
New canine sculpts
New feline sculpts

thats what I can think of at the moment

Brian

Styracosaurus

Explorer
I wish that they would just release the unpainted minis in packs.

They could easily release a "Bag o' Orcs" that had a wide variety of sculpts that already exist and could just be pumped out.

Remove ads