• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D MMORPG

mmu1

First Post
Is apparently going to be action oriented in a "Think Diablo" way. I think major departures from the PnP system were unavoidable (How do you implement the casters' need to rest for eight hours in a MMO game, for example?), but this one click / one swing system they're talking about really screws with the game mechanics...

http://pc.ign.com/articles/539/539074p1.html

Henry

Autoexreginated
I certainly hope so, because based on what I was reading about the revisions to the "questing model" so common in Multiplayer games, and about the community atmosphere they are trying to foster, I'm afraid I'll like it enough to subscribe...

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I have no idea what they plan but rest for 8 hours I don't think would have to be a problem it would be a bit cheesy, but I'd just allow people to set up camp and rest whenever they want. Once the camp is set up I'd let them rest and the rest would become a instanced area with some random chance depending on the area or an encounter occuring. Certain spells cast during camp prep would reduce or eliminate the chance of an encounter occuring. If no encounter occuers you get your 8 hours if an encoutner occurs you don't and you got to try again.

I rather suspect though they'll go with a standard mmorpg mana bar system that regens as you wait around doing nothing.

KenM

Banned
Banned
The new issue of PC gamer has a thing on the 30th anniversery od DnD, including a write up on the newest DnD computer games in the works. DnD online will only have 5 playible races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, and Warforged.

Last edited:

Zulithe

Explorer
Sheesh only 5 races ... thank the programming Gods for expansions though. Hate me if you want, but it is difficult to imagine D&D without Gnomes (and this coming from someone who has NEVER played a Gnome in 10+ years of gaming)

Gnomes are what help set D&D apart from Tolkien's work, so I view them as a necessity. But I guess it is initially covered by the Warforged :) For now, anyway.

More than Gnomes though, I think they should have tossed in at least one other playable Eberron race (perhaps Shifters), since virtually every other fantasy MMORPG has humans, dwarves, elves and halflings, it could use the additional selection to further differentiate it from the competition.

Still, I'm excited about the D&D MMORPG, but am curious how they will deal with the level system since, by mmorpg standards, it will take virtually no time to reach level 20, it would have to be slowed down or stretched out even more than it is in Neverwinter Nights.

Remove ads