• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

mamba

Legend
Horrible Bosses made 209 off less than 40
Horrible Bosses 2 was 109 off 42
I am not saying they did not make their money back. My point was that they are not exactly what I would consider to be a good movie. Not terrible mind you, but nothing I have an interest in seeing a second time, heck there wasn’t really any to see them the first time, they just happened to be on TV…

They've laid one budget egg and gotten more than four times budget on multiple occasions.
‘more than 4x budget on multiple occasions’, I see exactly one of those in your list, their very first movie (not a good sign….)

Last edited:

Horrible Bosses made 209 off less than 40
Horrible Bosses 2 was 109 off 42
Incredible Burt Wonderstone did poorly with 27 off 34. Ouch. I thought it was indie film the first time I looked it up.
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 made 274 off 78
Vacation (2018) hit 107 off 31
Game Night 117 on 37
Vacation 6 I can't find data on, probably because of the pandemic

I'm skipping Spidey, because MCU throws expectations way off.

They've laid one budget egg and gotten more than four times budget on multiple occasions.

Predictors expecting a bomb (usually because of the 2000 film) aren't paying attention to the writer/directors history, to the cast's history or to the modern game of D&D which is in a peak higher than ever before.

An individual may not like or enjoy the film, but the data doesn't support Honor Among Thieves bombing out

The number of comedies on this list makes me a little nervous. IMNSHO, the best crossover movies (e.g. horror/comedy, action/comedy, etc) are typically the ones led by creators with non-comedy experience to back up their work. When the comedians are in charge, the serious part of the movie sometimes suffers from it.

Yeah, in the middle of Lent. It might have been better at Easter.

Not the middle. Only 7 days, out of 40, are left when the movie premieres. Besides, people don't give up movies for Lent. Maybe the soda or treats you buy at the theater, but not the movie itself.

As for the OP, I expect a successful run. Nothing like the LotR ticket sales, but still good, at about $500m by the end of it's theatrical run. It could do better, but I think the Hobbit movies may actually impact it a bit, since those were the most recent to try and mix some comedy in with fantasy action.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think it will be at least a modest hit, enough for the producers to be happy, with an outside chance at being a breakout hit to some extent: if the critics come out gushing, co.vined with the fun marketing, that may move the noodle a bit over current projections.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I could see 40m or maybe 35m opening weekend. I mean is 10m D&D players go to see it over it’s theatrical release at $10 a pop, your looking at $100M from that fan base alone. Pine is a solid actor and the trailers have the around the table like banter our characters, in our heads maybe, tend to have.

As far as RDjr, looking at his IMDb page, prior to iron man, he wasn’t a bankable big draw star and result outside of marvel, he’s not a draw…that doesn’t mean he’s not talented but the movies haven’t been ones that pull people in even with a good actor. Take a look, all the away back to 1994ish, it’s subjective but none were box office hits and most were pay days to pay the bills. He’s a bigger m own name now and is somewhat bankable, like Sherlock Holmes but outside of marvel which have been many, he’s got, Dolittle (21.8M opening weekend, 77m domestic, not a financial success for the budget of 175M), The Judge (13m opening, 47M domestic, 50M budget), Chef (205K opening weekend, 31M domestic).

I just purchased the prequels novel for the movie and it’s been good so far and already has me thinking what I thought about a certain movie character from the trailers is wat wrong…but in a fun good way.

If it makes a profit then it's not a flop. If it doesn't profit at all then it's a flop.
That it is ABSOLUTELY NOT how it works.

Just to be clear.

Whether it's a hit or flop isn't a matter of our opinion, it's a matter of the studio's opinion, and no Hollywood studio, not even one, thinks "made a profit" is enough to not be a flop.

Why? Because of opportunity cost - all the time and money you spent making a movie that barely made a profit could have been spent making a movie that made a large profit (and a high proportion of movies do make a sizeable profit).

If the D&D movie isn't looking at least $300-400m worldwide, in a few months, it'll be a flop. Even $300m might be a bit low.

As far as RDjr, looking at his IMDb page, prior to iron man, he wasn’t a bankable big draw star
This is not very accurate. By the standards of his day, before the "incident" with the cocaine and the gun, RDJ was regarded as a "bankable" star, or at least a star well on the way to being one - i.e. rising star. It's just historical revisionism to claim otherwise and to try and start doing tea-leaf-reading with box office numbers (which were much lower all round in the '80s and '90s).

And Marvel didn't single-handedly rehabilitate him, initially. It was a one-two punch of Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes, and he was absolutely great and perfectly cast in both, which catapulted him back into the Hollywood mainstream. He hasn't done much else but Marvel since then because Marvel kept him incredibly busy. Doolittle was dreadful but who hasn't made a dreadful kid's flick or romcom once in a while. Even people like Harrison Ford have skeletons like Six days, Seven Nights in their closet.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is not very accurate. By the standards of his day, before the "incident" with the cocaine and the gun, RDJ was regarded as a "bankable" star, or at least a star well on the way to being one - i.e. rising star. It's just historical revisionism to claim otherwise and to try and start doing tea-leaf-reading with box office numbers (which were much lower all round in the '80s and '90s).

And Marvel didn't single-handedly rehabilitate him, initially. It was a one-two punch of Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes, and he was absolutely great and perfectly cast in both, which catapulted him back into the Hollywood mainstream. He hasn't done much else but Marvel since then because Marvel kept him incredibly busy. Doolittle was dreadful but who hasn't made a dreadful kid's flick or romcom once in a while. Even people like Harrison Ford have skeletons like Six days, Seven Nights in their closet.
I think the point is that Chris Pine isn't necessarily a different league than RDJ pre-Iron Man.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think the point is that Chris Pine isn't necessarily a different league than RDJ pre-Iron Man.

Yip it's not impossible the movie blows up and is a big hit. I don't think it will be MCU franchise type big but who knows?

And Chris Pine isn't a bad actor or anything u just don't think he is big box office like some think. Outside of franchise movies I think his typical movies are sub 100 million.

Remove ads