D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

ECMO3

Hero
I doubt any studio is going to intentionally say, "Oh, you're intnetionally screwing up the pacing and making it less enjoyable to watch? Cool." Don't get me wrong - the studios constantly tell directors to do things that screw with pacing, but I just doubt it is ever an intentional goal.
No I don't think the studio intended for it to be less enjoyable, but I absolutely think they intended to have a "d&d game style" plot that rushed from one scene to the next at the expense of character development.

I think they intended to make the movie have the feel of a D&D game to appeal to the player community and the pacing is a direct consequence of that. They did not intend for it to be less enjoyable.

The idea that this made the movie less enjoyable perhaps has merit in hindsight but that part was an unintended consequence, if true.

I won't argue with the statement, but I will say that the approach doesn't have a lot of merit. It makes for a bad movie (and often a lesser game). It does happen a lot, but both the game and the movie are built around story ... and taking shortcuts doesn't hep either.

I am not going to comment on whether this inherently makes a bad movie, FWIW I loved it.

However, the idea that it makes for a lessor game is not supported historically. If you look at the numerous lists of the "greatest D&D adventures of all time", many of them, usually a plurality or a majority even have this element.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
After 129 days Honor Among Thieves is no longer in the ten most watched streaming movies in the USA.
No concurrent movie has had that staying power.

Where's John Wick atm?

Disney released viewing figures recently for Elemental or TLM. I find things like that a lot more useful metric it's hard data.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Where's John Wick atm?

Disney released viewing figures recently for Elemental or TLM. I find things like that a lot more useful metric it's hard data.
JW4 is the #2 movie in the US. This is rather impressive as it's only available on Starz and Vudu (that's both a download and streamer). It had several weeks, maybe a month, where it wasn't in the top 10.
Elemental is the #1 movie in the US and worldwide. It's only been out for 9 days in the US on Disney+ (it had an earlier release on Vudu, likely download only). Elemental did much worse than Honor Among Thieves in the purchasing channels.
Honor Among Thieves was the #1 show in the US on Paramount+ for 12 days, during that stretch is was also the #1 movie in the nation.
Elemental's worldwide viewing numbers are 24+ million.
The US is likely a majority of that, but even if only 40% that would be ten million viewers. A reasonable inference would be that Honor Among Thieves during its first two weeks when it was the most popular streaming movie in the US would get similar numbers. It then remained in the top ten movies for more than 100 additional days. And yes, this would mean that more people have watched D&D: Honor Among Thieves than played Baldur's Gate 3 (but also, HAT came out six months ago and cost a fraction of the price).

Possibly relevant, Disney+ was responsible for 2% of TV watching in August. Paramount+ was 1.1% and Pluto (Paramount's FAST) was 0.9%

Zardnaar

Legend
JW4 is the #2 movie in the US. This is rather impressive as it's only available on Starz and Vudu (that's both a download and streamer). It had several weeks, maybe a month, where it wasn't in the top 10.
Elemental is the #1 movie in the US and worldwide. It's only been out for 9 days in the US on Disney+ (it had an earlier release on Vudu, likely download only). Elemental did much worse than Honor Among Thieves in the purchasing channels.
Honor Among Thieves was the #1 show in the US on Paramount+ for 12 days, during that stretch is was also the #1 movie in the nation.
Elemental's worldwide viewing numbers are 24+ million.
The US is likely a majority of that, but even if only 40% that would be ten million viewers. A reasonable inference would be that Honor Among Thieves during its first two weeks when it was the most popular streaming movie in the US would get similar numbers. It then remained in the top ten movies for more than 100 additional days. And yes, this would mean that more people have watched D&D: Honor Among Thieves than played Baldur's Gate 3 (but also, HAT came out six months ago and cost a fraction of the price).

Possibly relevant, Disney+ was responsible for 2% of TV watching in August. Paramount+ was 1.1% and Pluto (Paramount's FAST) was 0.9%

Aa I said hard numbers. Think Disney gave 23 million watches for Elemental or TLM I forget.

The streamers are all generalky losing money. Looks like Dusney has trained their audiences to stay at home and watch it there.

Assuming those 23 million paid money to see it what's that 230 million BO?

I'll pay to see Star Wars from Disney otherwise just wait. Not that I woukd pay to see an MCU movie anyway tbh only saw 1 in the theatre.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Aa I said hard numbers. Think Disney gave 23 million watches for Elemental or TLM I forget.

The streamers are all generalky losing money. Looks like Dusney has trained their audiences to stay at home and watch it there.

Assuming those 23 million paid money to see it what's that 230 million BO?

I'll pay to see Star Wars from Disney otherwise just wait. Not that I woukd pay to see an MCU movie anyway tbh only saw 1 in the theatre.
I provided a link to the Disney viewership for Elemental.

That gives us a great snapshot for what being the #1 movie in the world in a week means.

Zardnaar

Legend
I provided a link to the Disney viewership for Elemental.

That gives us a great snapshot for what being the #1 movie in the world in a week means.

Yup I don't think HAT got that high as it was beaten by Mario, Avatar and John Wick iirc.

I asked about Wick as similar release date, budget etc. I don't really expect Wick or HAT to compete with Marvel level movies.

Disney's a lot bigger though in real terms they're number 2 iirc. Amazon's big on paper but very small % are actually engaged (free in USA?).

I suspect streaming will replicate the BO in terms of differences between 1 and 5 for example.

Last edited:

Yup I don't think HAT got tgat high as it was beaten by Mario, Avatar and John Wick iirc.

I asked about Wick as similar release date, budget etc. I do t really expect Wick or HAT to compete with Marvel level movies.

Disney's a lot bigger though in real terms they're number 2 iirc. Amazon's big on paper but very small % are actually engaged (free in USA?).

I suspect streaming will replicate the BO in terms of differences between 1 and 5 for example.

The D&D movie didn't do that well in Threaters, because lot of folks decided to watch it on streaming instead, while alot of folks had already seen the movies you listed in Threaters, so I think it's very possible.

Remove ads