• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I hope it's a complete blowout.

I hope it's so successful that not only does WotC start up a D&D Cinematic Universe with different characters and worlds, but other TTRPG properties get heavily optioned because Hollywood demands TTRPG Fare.

I want Shadowrun to have a full trilogy and two or five standalone movies.

I want an Athasian series of Rated R TTRPG films that busts open the mature audience market and results in White Wolf leaping in for TTRPG Horror movies with Call of C'thulhu on their heels.

'Cause that'd be great.

fettpett

Explorer
It'll be a moderate success...no spring/summer blockbuster but successful. There's no major competition it's opening weekend, John Wick 4 and Creed 3 will be out for a couple of weeks or more by it's release date...and nobody is going to give a crap about the Tetris movie

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, but Hollywood accounting can change what the box office take means.

For me it's more about dodging taxes and who gets what.

If tge money isn't there to begin with...... Or if it's a big blowout but someone with a % deal might get screwed over.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)

MwaO

Adventurer
So I have been thinking about how well the D&D Movie will go financially. This thread is purely about the financial results of the movie not its quality.
I think it ends up being Black Adam with slightly better reviews and somewhat worse revenue. And Paramount ends up losing money because of how theaters work and how much they spent on stars/promotions/etc.

Stormonu

Legend
I believe it'll make enough that it will get a sequel, so I'm thinking it will be a moderate success. D&D's reputation is currently bouyant enough folks know about the game (even if they don't play) and there seems to be a general positive good will towards it, so the interest domestically is there that people will at least go check it out, and will probably be entertained. If they're hoping for big overseas money, I don't think they'll see it outside of Europe.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I think it ends up being Black Adam with slightly better reviews and somewhat worse revenue. And Paramount ends up losing money because of how theaters work and how much they spent on stars/promotions/etc.
An opening weekend at Black Adam's level would actually beat expectations for the film's opening weekend.

And actually, if it puts up numbers as good as Black Adam's then Paramount would be thrilled - that would put it smack in the middle of Snarf's total domestic range projected for the movie right now.

Black Adam was a monetary disappointment mostly because it was insanely expensive to make and was supposed to put up Marvel movie numbers. Expectations for Honor Among Thieves are a lot lower - if it hits Black Adam's bar we'll see plans for sequels aplenty.

Undrave

Legend
It'll be a moderate success...no spring/summer blockbuster but successful. There's no major competition it's opening weekend, John Wick 4 and Creed 3 will be out for a couple of weeks or more by it's release date...and nobody is going to give a crap about the Tetris movie
is Tetris even going to theatre? It seams more of an adult drama than a blockbuster anyway. I'm expecting enough to warrant a sequel myself.

Remove ads