• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

Zardnaar

Legend
So many people raging against it, it's kind of fun to see how much they're raging while the movie has become one of the highest grossing animated films.

I dont care about Mario one way or another. It's box office is very impressive so not sure what the rage is about (critics vs audience?).

The explanation by the looper article is plausible enough for me. But then it is not fault by DD:HaT, but even this has got more merit because the arrived to a "minefield". Then we could say it has been a relative succes if we watch the handicaps in the genre, and a right operation of "damage control", showing the path to be followed in the future.

Other point is maybe a lot of people would rather to await seen it in streaming service or movie rent. Let's remember it is a long movie.

* What about an animated adaptation of the kid-friendly book "Dungeon Academy"?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I dont care about Mario one way or another. It's box office is very impressive so not sure what the rage is about (critics vs audience?).
People seem to be raging about Chris Pratt being the voice of Mario, though I think his voice fit well for the movie. I'm sure a lot of people are just raging because hating on it is the in thing.

Zardnaar

Legend
People seem to be raging about Chris Pratt being the voice of Mario, though I think his voice fit well for the movie. I'm sure a lot of people are just raging because hating on it is the in thing.

Heh haven't noticed. Mario's haul at box office is very respectable might be the 5th movie post pandemic to break the billion dollar mark. Mario was comparatively cheap.

Zardnaar

Legend
Can we talk about how all these puff pieces are actling like Mario's not a bomb?

If this is aimed at ne I used that term because they painted a very rose picture on a very average week 1 box office (for 150 million movie).

One of the "negative" sites calling it a flop was on the money because they needed a stupidly high drop of rate week to week to come close to its probable break even point.

Apparently the typical drop off rate is around 45% D&D needed to have 18.6% every week for its entire run.

3 r 3 weeks you can make a reasonable projection for its final take.

I thought it would struggle to hit 200 million looks like it may struggle to hit 180.

Debunking the bleeding obvious.

1. It's opening haul wasn't thst great for a movie of its budget.

2. It exceeded expectations. Industry expectations were low to begin with. Even then they didn't exceed it by much iirc less than 10%.

3. Week 2 international box office was better than expected. See point 2 still not much money.

Think that covers everything. 50-60 million in losses potentially more plus whatever they spent on marketing.

Expensive advertising.

Last edited:

Today it is 130M$

We should await, at least until the end of this month. I guess they are going to recover the money, and D&D as brand will more valious than before.

Maybe they dare to a lower-budget animated production, or something about fantasy island with dinosaurs, style Mystara Hollow World, Isle of Dread or Jackandor.

This production was right, if they aren't making more money it is because there are also other external circustances. It is not their fault. We shouldn't blame them. It has worked enough well to dare to continue in this path.

Paramount has earnt a lot of money with Maverick, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Indiana Jones and Jurasic World, but they need to start new franchises.

* What about a crossover Gamma World/TNMT? At least in comic.

Zardnaar

Legend
Today it is 130M$

We should await, at least until the end of this month. I guess they are going to recover the money, and D&D as brand will more valious than before.

Maybe they dare to a lower-budget animated production, or something about fantasy island with dinosaurs, style Mystara Hollow World, Isle of Dread or Jackandor.

This production was right, if they aren't making more money it is because there are also other external circustances. It is not their fault. We shouldn't blame them. It has worked enough well to dare to continue in this path.

Paramount has earnt a lot of money with Maverick, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Indiana Jones and Jurasic World, but they need to start new franchises.

* What about a crossover Gamma World/TNMT? At least in comic.

Something like 70% of most movies box office is the first 2-3 weeks iirc.

You're seeing that fall off right there week to week. It's not a bad decline rate but week 1 wasn't big enough.

Even if you doubled its take its 260 million maybe finishing around 360-400 million which is where it needed to roughly be.

If you're really bored just plug in some numbers week 1 and 30-70% decline rate. I've heard 18.6% was the magic number, crunched 30% earlier in the thread which was a very optimistic number.

Any realistic number plugged into its week 1 numbers basically gave you the results opening weekend. It's more or less official now.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads