• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Walmart and Target have a couple of isles dedicated for toys but there's no guarantee they would carry D&D toys for kids. I doubt they have any interest in most toys unless it's a big brand they know is going to sell. Even if they did stock D&D toys it would still be a massive risk for Hasbro since if they didn't sell well Walmart and Target might demand they return them, or they clearance them out and refuse to buy anymore, leaving Hasbro with a bunch of unsold stock sitting in a warehouse.

Yeah like I posted a lot of "toys" are made for adults these days. I wouldn't be surprised if Honor Among Thieves figures sell fairly well to adult DnD fans/toy collectors.
As you said

I have no idea who is buying the toys. But they were made, carried and are moving. Something that seems to bother people who have desired the movie to fail.

I haven't seen D&D action figures in the Toys'R'Us of the city where I live.

I had liked to buy some D&D for my preteen nephews. Maybe the novel "Dungeon Academy".

We can agree the videogames are a risky bet, but this is not so much when we are talking about collabs. Hasbro could acquire more videogame studios in the future. These shouldn't be AAA but something for casual players using mobiles and tablets.

A D&D version of Pokemon is possible, but I don't advice a game where the PCs only can be a pokemon-trainer/digimon-tamer. I imagine something mixture of survival, farm simulation, and a class like a mixture of summoner(Pathfinder), Vestige Pact Binder(3.5 Tome of Magic) and totemist shaman(Magic of Incarnum). You summon a creature, and spend points of essen to unlock slots of talent tree. Of course this crazy idea would need a lot of playtesting.

* The movie hasn't failed. Simplely they aren't the star in the party because not this is Mario Bros breaking records. I hope they are going to earn enough to dare to keep working in the franchise. This brand is not yet a cash-cow.

Undrave

Legend
I think Honor Among Thieves is not an outright FLOP, but it's not a hit either. It's in an awkward zone and there's a lot of outside factor that an executive will have to weight in against going for a sequel or not.

If nothing else, this is gonna be a new generation's Princess Bride. It has the making of a decent cult classic and might help garner interest for another go at it in a decade or so.

I wonder if anything changes if they played it more straight. Maybe a lot of the people who want fantasy comedy are already watching actual plays on YouTube.
Warcraft played it straight and nobody cared about it. D&D is not Lord of the Rings and trying to chase that will fail. No D&D story has the cultural cachet of Lord of the Rings. D&D is too high magic for the Game of Throne treatment: people who watch that type of show wouldn’t gel with elves, dwarves and Dragonborns.
Paramounts probably around 45 million in the hole plus marketing so could be over 9 figures in losses depending on who paid for what.

Paramount absolutely has not recovered their investment when you factor in the cut that theaters take, and the likely $100 million dollar or more marketing budget a big budget release like this has. They are likely tens of millions of dollars in the red still and wont come close to breaking even in the theatrical run as the movie continues to lose screens over the next few weeks.
I think Hasbro will do what they can so that Paramount doesn't lose money to keep their business partnership in good standing. eOne covered 50% of the production, after all, and I wouldn't doubt they'd be willing to make sure Paramount gets their money back first.
Target is carrying the Honor Among Thieves action figures in stores. They're selling well
I almost got Holga this weekend but I decided to buy an Ultraman Z statue (roughly the same price) in honour of the new English dub...

I think Honor Among Thieves is not an outright FLOP, but it's not a hit either. It's in an awkward zone and there's a lot of outside factor that an executive will have to weight in against going for a sequel or not.

I think Hasbro will do what they can so that Paramount doesn't lose money to keep their business partnership in good standing. eOne covered 50% of the production, after all, and I wouldn't doubt they'd be willing to make sure Paramount gets their money back first.
I agree, not an outright flop but certainly not a hit.

And eOne is Hasbro and they already covered a lot of the production cost. I doubt they are doing anything more for Paramount.

Reef

Hero
I agree, not an outright flop but certainly not a hit.

And eOne is Hasbro and they already covered a lot of the production cost. I doubt they are doing anything more for Paramount.
That’s hard to say. We know they covered 50% of the cost, it we don’t know any details on the revenue split. It’s possible that it was contracted that Paramount got a larger share of the revenue up to a certain point, to ensure they didn’t lose money.

Pure speculation, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility. Especially if Hasbro is counting on a lot of merch sales.

Argyle King

Legend
It's nice to hear that merch associated with the movie is doing well elsewhere.

Unfortunately, that's not the case here. The local Walmart has had the same few items on their display.

I looked at possibly buying the gelatinous cube, but it's awkwardly sized for wanting to use it while playing.

darjr

I crit!
There honestly is no way to know what the “merch” sales are.

The one moment that supposably the PHB went back into the top 100? First, the uncovered cost of the movie as a marketing expense probably is not justified by the book sales.
Moving a nearly ten year old rpg book WELL into the top 100 in Amazon is IMPOSSIBLE by all other measures. It’s extremely difficult for any book. The movie did that. You wanted evidence of ancillary sales and now you have some.

It making up for the movie costs? I never said that nor hinted it would. i think that’s an unfair assessment.

Not that I disagree with you that it definitely isn’t a smash hit. But I do wonder if it’s done well enough.

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
Moving a nearly ten year old rpg book WELL into the top 100 in Amazon is IMPOSSIBLE by all other measures. It’s extremely difficult for any book. The movie did that. You wanted evidence of ancillary sales and now you have some.

It making up for the movie costs? I never said that nor hinted it would. i think that’s an unfair assessment.

Not that I disagree with you that it definitely isn’t a smash hit. But I do wonder if it’s done well enough.

If true, it further highlights why I feel it's strange to have so few products linking the movie to the game.

With a new version of the game on the horizon, I see it as a missed opportunity to not use momentum from the movie to help the centerpiece of the brand.

Similarly, it took way too long for WoTC to make a connection with Stranger Things (a show which heavily featured D&D).

If they have a 50/50 share of any loss on the movie, breaking to top 100 for book sales for one week/days (really not that many actual books) seems like an incredible waste of money.

They have this $1B brand concept and I think the movie is not going to advance it. Maybe it is a sunk cost they expected to get 1 or 2 tv shows launched, but they want to sell eOne.

Can't be a total disaster at Hasbro as they convinced Harley Davidson's CFO to join them (was announced last week), but on a movie stand alone basis it looks to be not great results.

darjr

I crit!
If they have a 50/50 share of any loss on the movie, breaking to top 100 for book sales for one week/days (really not that many actual books) seems like an incredible waste of money.

They have this $1B brand concept and I think the movie is not going to advance it. Maybe it is a sunk cost they expected to get 1 or 2 tv shows launched, but they want to sell eOne.

Can't be a total disaster at Hasbro as they convinced Harley Davidson's CFO to join them (was announced last week), but on a movie stand alone basis it looks to be not great results.
You dint get it. I’m not saying it’s the thing that makes it a success. You seem to think that I am.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads