• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Wow! I'd say Hasbro is getting their money's worth from the film then (even if it's not directly from BO receipts)

And an sequel announcement at streaming launch would make a lot of sense, especially if it's over $100M domestic and $200M worldwide by that point.

Hasbro is not messing around with increasing the visibility of the brand ahead of the 2024 edition.
This is the key consideration, how much is a movie franchise worth to Hasbro even if the moves and other media tie ins barely make their costs.

I hope Paramount to recover the investment.

I see good reasons to continue with the franchise. Now Paramount needs to start from zero a new blockbuster franchise.

It hasn't been a bad step to start. There were other external circustances.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Critically and with audience reviews the movie has done really well. Greatly exceeded expectations overall, I would say.

Financially, so far the movie has mildly exceeded expectations/projections per leaks in trade magazines. The jury is still out, of course, as for how it does in total, but the reviews/quality of the movie plus the moderately good early performance are positive signs.

There are a lot of unknown-to-us factors weighing in to whether it really is profitable, like EOne/Hasbro's taking on part of the production costs, and the merchandizing/marketing benefits for Hasbro. And to whether it's considered successful enough to merit more movies. But we can tell it's a more complicated picture than just "did it make back more than the rule-of-thumb 2.5 times production costs" in part because we know the movie itself is meant to push greater brand awareness for and sales of D&D and related STUFF, and upcoming other media properties like TV shows.

"Hit" is probably exaggerating, at this point, but that'll be more dependent on the total box office receipts. So far it's a success in the reviews, a mild success at the box office, and yet to be seen about the other stuff. It seems to have dodged "flop" status, at least.

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
A very large goal of this movie is to convince people to tell stories using D&D. D&D sales and interest is as important to judging the movie as its box office.

While there are reasons to not use Google Trends as a sole number, the trends are very clearly in D&D's favor

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?hl=en-US&tz=420&geo=US&hl=en&q=/m/026q9&sni=3

View attachment 281952

If that's true, I have even more questions concerning what I perceive to be a rather poor effort to market the movie in relation to the game and overall brand.

At a time when visibility of the brand received an increase, there were zero products which connected the movie to the game (and overall brand)? I don't understand that approach.

I can understand wanting to promote the movie as a separate individual entity from the game. However, if the goal is to create a "lifestyle brand," what products exist to promote exploring the game, novels, video games, or other things which may fall under the overall umbrella of a D&D brand?

Edit: At the time of this post, the total box office appears to be around $127M. Google says the budget for the film was $150M.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
At a time when visibility of the brand received an increase, there were zero products which connected the movie to the game (and overall brand)? I don't understand that approach.
Everything that is Dungeons & Dragons is Dungeons & Dragons.

That's a valid marketing choice

Zardnaar

Legend
Interesting video on the odds of a sequel.

Tldr depends if they think a follow up can make more monet based on positive word of mouth from this one.

Trigger warning he uses the word tanked.

Remove ads