• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

mamba

Legend
Maybe if it was +7y instead +13y.
I am not sure what they would need to change for that, but by then you are targeting a rather different audience. You cannot just change some ‘offensive parts’, the rest of the movie must also be thematically suitable.

I am not sure the end result would get any more viewers, it might actually get less. I am pretty sure they thought about this / what their core audience should be to maximize profits and built a movie based on that. What Hollywod has a much harder time with is predicting the number of actual viewers / the reception of the finished movie, otherwise every movie would be a success

Also, it is never the audience’s fault. You cannot say ‘I created a great product, the people are just too stupid to buy it’, that is your failure, not theirs. You either failed to create sufficient interest or misjudged the existing level of interest, or you are ok with this being a loss if it manages to shift that perception so future projects can be successful and you recoup the investment over time.

Last edited:

Jaeger

That someone better
I have no idea what you are referring to, but not having an international release on its own obviously affects the box office numbers and whether it breaks even at the box office. That seems hardly controversial.

Yeah, Struck me real odd that there was no meaningful international release. But I looked it up, and yeah, a whole lotta 'nada...

Also, it is never the audience’s fault. You cannot say ‘I created a great product, the people are just too stupid to buy it’, that is your failure, not theirs. You either failed to create sufficient interest or misjudged the existing level of interest, or you are ok with this being a loss if it manages to shift that perception so future projects can be successful and you recoup the investment over time.
^This^

Sometimes stuff just doesn't work out.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
It's in 2960 theaters still this weekend. Fifth on Friday night and back over a million at $1,390,000. It's ahead of Chevelier, but behind Evil Dead Rise and The Covenant.

No international update.

delericho

Legend
So, my point in raising Princess Bride is, aside from the fact that many critics have compared it to HaT (I don't really see it, except maybe that it is less serious fantasy), it demonstrates that a good film can make a lot more money over time than a mediocre film that has a much higher initial run at the box office.
Is there a sense for if, and by how much, the new streaming landscape has changed that? I know that blu-ray is essentially done and DVD is dying, and VoD sales seem to be a very small concern these days. As far as I can see, most things get pushed to their parent streaming service pretty quickly, and a few weeks after that I would have thought they become part of the back catalogue - the undifferentiated mass of 'stuff' that probably doesn't generate many sales, but might collectively persuade a few customers to re-subscribe.

But that's my assumption as a consumer of media who periodically weighs up whether the buy/subscribe/renew, not someone who knows how companies record revenue.

Edit: Given the ongoing debate, I feel I should stress that that's a question, not a shot fired in any particular direction!

When I went to the cinema, there was a marriage with children. I asked him, and he said the movie was cool.

They aren't going to lose money, and thanks this movie the brand has got more power and prestige. We shouldn't say it to be a failure.

Maybe the audience will discover they would like this movie if this was been watched in the cinema. There are reasons to think it is will be better in the next movie.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Is there a sense for if, and by how much, the new streaming landscape has changed that? I know that blu-ray is essentially done and DVD is dying, and VoD sales seem to be a very small concern these days. As far as I can see, most things get pushed to their parent streaming service pretty quickly, and a few weeks after that I would have thought they become part of the back catalogue - the undifferentiated mass of 'stuff' that probably doesn't generate many sales, but might collectively persuade a few customers to re-subscribe.

But that's my assumption as a consumer of media who periodically weighs up whether the buy/subscribe/renew, not someone who knows how companies record revenue.

Edit: Given the ongoing debate, I feel I should stress that that's a question, not a shot fired in any particular direction!
Here's a lot of financial info about Paramount streaming.

When I went to the cinema, there was a marriage with children. I asked him, and he said the movie was cool.

They aren't going to lose money, and thanks this movie the brand has got more power and prestige. We shouldn't say it to be a failure.

Maybe the audience will discover they would like this movie if this was been watched in the cinema. There are reasons to think it is will be better in the next movie.
You keep saying over and over that the movie will not lose money.

Based on box office receipts alone, it certainly will lose money.

How do you know that the other possible sources of revenue for the movie will cover the large hole it will be in after it finishes its run in theaters?

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
can’t get much more anecdotal than this…

some hard numbers would definitely be preferred over what amounts to wishful thinking

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads