D&D Next (5E) Updates, Pax East, and a Poll

Should the cleric and wizard use Vancian Magic as core?

• Yes! Vancian magic is D&D!

Votes: 204 37.2%
  • No! That's so old-school! Make the vancian mage extinct!

Votes: 48 8.7%
  • Yes, but with extra funky feats and abilities to modify it!

Votes: 138 25.1%
  • No, but include it as an option somewhere for those who really want to use it.

Votes: 152 27.7%
  • I don't understand what Vancian Magic is.

Votes: 7 1.3%

Emirikol_Prime

Explorer
Voted YES on Vancian Magic. Pathfinder has it 100% correct.

And with a playtest this large, and "semi-open" there is no way the cat stays in the bag, NDA or no! ;)

Kalontas

First Post
Personally, I'm very opposed to Vancian magic. I see it as an act of tragic imbalance and a system that should have never made it into a game. However, I recognise the fact some do like it, and would welcome it as an option for those willing to do it; while the basis should be a mana based system where bigger spells just consume more mana, and the biggest ones would consume so much mana that you would just never be able to cast them at low levels.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Vancian Wizard = Yes
Vancian Cleric/Druid/Paladin/Ranger = OH HECK NO.

Somehow, preparing spells always felt right for the wizard with his arcane tomes and scribed scrolls. It always felt horribly wrong for divine casters. Like, during your daily prayers you have to guess what sort of miracles you will need during the following day? That's just weird.

-- 77IM

fumetti

First Post
NO! to classic Vancian magic.

Why? Because magic-users were so WEAK. It's bad enough to have only ONE spell in a whole day...but to have to predict which spell would be useful was absurd. It ruined the flow of the game. And it pushed everyone to just choose "sleep" all the time.

At the very least, if you keep the one spell per day (first level) restriction the M-U should be able to CHOOSE any known spell (appropriate to that slot) to cast at the time of casting. Keep the studying and all that, but yield this one point. This makes the M-U more useful and more fun to play.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
NO! to classic Vancian magic.

Why? Because magic-users were so WEAK. It's bad enough to have only ONE spell in a whole day...but to have to predict which spell would be useful was absurd. It ruined the flow of the game. And it pushed everyone to just choose "sleep" all the time.

At the very least, if you keep the one spell per day (first level) restriction the M-U should be able to CHOOSE any known spell (appropriate to that slot) to cast at the time of casting. Keep the studying and all that, but yield this one point. This makes the M-U more useful and more fun to play.

Vancian mages haven't had one spell per day (or been called M-Us) for decades.

Nobody's ever advocated one spell per day. I'm not sure where you're getting that idea.

Remove ads