• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next Design Goals (Article)

Incenjucar

Legend
None of these things cannot be done in the more recent editions. They're just not required, as they used to be, for your character to survive the first few levels. You can easily add that requirement back in by upping the danger of a situation until it cannot be tackled head-on without significant risk of character loss. As a bonus, it'll be less embarrassing that you had to run away from twenty overgrown mosquitoes than from five.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Bloody near anything can become Sated. Even in D&D land. It's not an unreasonable assumption, by any means.

Someone correct me if I am wrong - for stirges (at least in 1e), becoming sated was something specific in the description of the beastie. Right up there with "trolls are vulnerable to fire".

Someone correct me if I am wrong - for stirges (at least in 1e), becoming sated was something specific in the description of the beastie. Right up there with "trolls are vulnerable to fire".

Well i think in these cases character knowledge is important. If they know about sturges,then yes the idea makes sense. If they see stirges feed they may be able to out two and two together, so the idea makes some sense. If they have encountered them before, it also makes sense. Same with trolls.

DMKastmaria

First Post

Yes, they'll stop feeding once they've drained a certain amount of hit points.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
Wizard/Cleric > spell > Fighter fail save > Fighter dies.

4E has a lot of problems IMHO but it's the only D&D edition where a Fighter is really durable.

I absolutely love when people compare mechanics in a vacuum. :yawn:

What spell was that? What is the Wizard doing about that as the Fighter's army is storming his tower? What happens when the Fighter wins initiative and slays the Wizard in one hit or disrupts his spell every turn? What if the Fighter has equally powerful magical swords or items that protect him from magic?

How did PCs ever defeat evil wizards if it was such a simple calculation?

"Sorry guys, the BBEG in this campaign is a wizard. All you fighters should just re-roll new characters."

DMKastmaria

First Post
Wizard/Cleric > spell > Fighter fail save > Fighter dies.

4E has a lot of problems IMHO but it's the only D&D edition where a Fighter is really durable.

1e Fighter - No bonuses considered.

1st level save vs death magic - 14

5th level - 11

10th - 8

15th - 4

I'm good with that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads