• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D next ... fate or doom ?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
D&D Next...Fate or Doom?

replyhazy.jpg

Droogie

Explorer
I currently play both pathfinder and 4e. I'm not overly fond of either game, truthfully, but i give 4e some slack because i was so ready to move on from 3.5. Personally, I don't mind that Monte has moved on, since his blogs were not filling me with hope and the polls seemed flakey. I like his fluff and adventures, but his crunchy rules design is no longer to my taste. We haven't seen much of 5e yet, but I was worried that Monte was going to take too many design steps back in the name of nostalgia. However, his leaving has had an effect on morale around here, for sure.

groklynn

First Post
I was waiting for Next. Now I'm waiting for release of master's guide of Radiance RPG and new materials for Legend RPG. They've got everything I want from tabletop RPG at the moment - simplicity, customization and right feel. AD&D 2e was kinda my starting point, but It's really hardcore in some cases and on the other hand it's also misbalanced, and for all new gamers it's hard to dig. D&D 3.5/Pathfinder are all about details and tons of spells and content, so they are good for playing pre-build stuff, but a little bit "too much" for sandbox. 4e is full of strange stuff for me, healing surges and action points are the top of iceberg and the whole AEDU stuff is little bit weird because of boardgame-style interactions like "you can strike him 1 time per battle and move for 2 squares and he is dazzed and..." oh, really? once? why don't I do it every time I strike?!
So, Radiance is kinda simple and complete read-and-start-playing solution, and Legend has a very easy mechanics for generating characters/multiclassing. And - they are free.

Yora

Legend
After 5th Edition is released, we either have a new good game on the market, or the 800 pound gorilla drops out of the race and leaves the field for other companies to bring innovation.
Either way, it's looking good for the future.

Serendipity

Explorer
No idea, no way to tell, but if they don't drop the "D&D Next" name I predict a lot of fiscally based disappointment for WotC.
And what's up with all references to 5e, or D&D Next, or the next edition (there, that one worked) being linked to the Fifth Edition preview page?

am181d

Adventurer
No idea, no way to tell, but if they don't drop the "D&D Next" name I predict a lot of fiscally based disappointment for WotC.

This strikes me as nonsensical for two reasons: 1, it's been clear from the beginning that this a working title. In fact, WotC has gone on record saying their preference is to market the next version of D&D as simply D&D, without qualification. 2, even if the next edition DID wind up with the name "D&D Next" (as it's not entirely unheard of for a working title to stick) who are the customers who wouldn't buy the game if it's awesome but they're dissatisfied with the name? D&D fans are extraordinarily plugged in. If its a good game, no one will care what it's called. The only audience that might conceivably care are new audiences and WotC has marketed to them in years.

As an aside, I'll also point out that Pepsi just released a soda called Pepsi Next. And exactly no one cares what the soda's name is. It's a soda and if they try it and they like it they'll keep drinking it.

Remove ads