• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next: Let's discuss it's mass multimedia goal.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Instead of continuing to hi-jack the overloaded thread, I figured I would create a separate thread on the issue.

I for one do not feel like their goal is a realistic one. As has been mentioned by another poster, D&D does not have the appeal, or the reputation that some of the big ones have such as Marvel and DC. Creating a few video games would be no problem, but beyond that, I don't see the brand going anywhere else. We have already seen their attempts and let's just say that I'm not going to hold my breath.

A

amerigoV

Ah, I see you share Homer Simpson's view on this:

"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is: Never try."

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Ah, I see you share Homer Simpson's view on this:

"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is: Never try."

ENWorld said:
You must spread some Experience Points around before giving it to amerigoV again.

I, for one, applaud a company for trying out new things, be it WotC with the OGL and/or DDI or Paizo with the continued service to the 3e folks.

If you don't try it, you'll never know it. If WotC/Hasbro isn't successful with their brand strategy, so what? D&D as RPG remains, and in many incarnations.

mhensley

First Post
It seems like their biggest problem is that much of the multimedia stuff is out of wotc's hands. The films rights are tied up in court battles and hasbro seems to whore out the video game rights to the lowest bidder every time. 4e was the most video game friendly ruleset D&D has ever seen and they never made a 4e video game.

The stuff that wotc does control, novels and such, are consistently lackluster in comparison to what GW does with their novels IMO. Of course the authors were hamstrung by the nonsense that 4e inflicted upon the FR. At least 5e will fix that, supposedly. They allowed the very good D&D comic book series to die. And who knows what they plan for Dungeon and Dragon magazines, probably just more of the same DDI.

They say they have all these great plans, but I'm tired of the hype without any details. Put up or shut up.

Hussar

Legend
It seems like their biggest problem is that much of the multimedia stuff is out of wotc's hands. The films rights are tied up in court battles and hasbro seems to whore out the video game rights to the lowest bidder every time. 4e was the most video game friendly ruleset D&D has ever seen and they never made a 4e video game.

This I don't get. 4e is the least video game friendly rule set. Every class has out of turn powers that work retroactively. There is no way to do this in real time. Turn based video games would work but nothing close to real time.

The stuff that wotc does control, novels and such, are consistently lackluster in comparison to what GW does with their novels IMO. Of course the authors were hamstrung by the nonsense that 4e inflicted upon the FR. At least 5e will fix that, supposedly. They allowed the very good D&D comic book series to die. And who knows what they plan for Dungeon and Dragon magazines, probably just more of the same DDI.

Yeah those NYT best sellers really didn't do well at all. And doubling the print subscriber base, what a failure that was for the magazines. :uhoh:

They say they have all these great plans, but I'm tired of the hype without any details. Put up or shut up.

You mean like producing a version of DnD that was more experimental than anything we'd ever seen before?

A

amerigoV

So how many times do you need to try before you realize you won't succeed?

However many times it takes until you are successful or go out of business, basically. Either they will learn to leverage their brand or they will not. But not trying (ie, just sell the RPG) is much worse IMO. They are too big of a dog in this fight just to be a one-trick pony (nice mix of animal metaphors, if I say to myself). Even my favorite Savage Worlds is branched out beyond just the RPG (so-called dime novels and the recently announced Xbox used their Deadlands IP for show, and the creator nearly had a Deadlands MMO a few years back as well, and they used to have Rippers game on Facebook).

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
However many times it takes until you are successful or go out of business, basically. Either they will learn to leverage their brand or they will not. But not trying (ie, just sell the RPG) is much worse IMO. They are too big of a dog in this fight just to be a one-trick pony (nice mix of animal metaphors, if I say to myself). Even my favorite Savage Worlds is branched out beyond just the RPG (so-called dime novels and the recently announced Xbox used their Deadlands IP for show, and the creator nearly had a Deadlands MMO a few years back as well, and they used to have Rippers game on Facebook).
How about a realistic answer?

Mournblade94

Adventurer
You mean like producing a version of DnD that was more experimental than anything we'd ever seen before?

Experiments often fail. That is what labs or for. Do the experiments there.

Their experiment failed during the Peer Review phase.

I think D&DNEXT is the self correction of the scientific method at work..

A

amerigoV

How about a realistic answer?

Go play something else then. If you do not like what they are doing or you have no confidence that they can pull it off, why are you fretting over it? Its not like there are not other systems out there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads