D&D 5E D&D Next Q&A: 03/07/2014

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
D&D Next Q&A
03/07/2014
By Rodney Thompson

You've got questions—we've got answers! Here's how it works—each week, our Community Manager will be scouring all available sources to find whatever questions you're asking. We'll pick three of them for R&D to answer.

What do you think of the warlock?

dnd_dndqa_20140307_pic2_en.jpg

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
1.png
I like that the warlock plays differently than other arcane spellcasters by having fewer spell slots recovereable every short rest, plus others at-will and daily similar to 4E powers. I think Rodney made a mistake though, i'm sure you also recover spell slots after a long rest too, and not just a short one.

2.png
I like the abstraction your patron gets like Cleric Domain, being more concepts fitted by multiple beings than more specific ones. Its more versatile and adaptive that way.

3.png
Sounds good to me, your patron should influence your abilities to differenciate among other warlocks.

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
1.png
Basically Warlocks are AE at lower levels then grow to be AED. Good, a fair compromise between the 3.x and 4e incarnations.

2.png
3.png
Great!, that is how witches work!!

1.png
I like that the warlock plays differently than other arcane spellcasters by having fewer spell slots recovereable every short rest, plus others at-will and daily similar to 4E powers. I think Rodney made a mistake though, i'm sure you also recover spell slots after a long rest too, and not just a short one.
I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere that all Long Rests also count as Short Rests.

ambroseji

Explorer
I'm pretty happy with what we've about warlock so far. Especially regarding the comparison between domains/patrons...

I can't wait to see the full class!

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So this confirms that the warlock player gets to choose patron and pact type seperately.

Still what is the primary abilty score? It would be cool if it were based on the patron like 4e.

occam

Adventurer
The warlock is starting to sound more and more like a good fit for the sha'ir, as opposed to the mage/wizard.

Remove ads