• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next Starter Set - how should it look like?

ShadoWWW

Explorer
We know D&D Starter Set will be released as the first rulebook of D&D Next. How should it look like according your opinion?

I wish it were like Pathfinder Beginner Box, it means:

- Solo adventure at the beginning of the rulebook for those who have never played any RPG. It should teach new players the basics of D&D Next mechanics. The adventure itself should be with interesting plot end, meaningful choices, and grand finale.

- Few pregenerated character sheets

- Rules for at least the first 10 levels of cleric, fighter, rogue and wizard; and dwarf, elf, halfling and human races.

- Easy-to-use, grab-and-play adventure for DM, and basic guidelines how to create DM's own advetnure for beginning DMs.

- Bestiary with the most iconic D&D monsters.

- Few paper pawns and poster maps would be nice.

Something like Basic D&D Mentzer Red Box would be fine as well. I think it was the best D&D product for beginners. (Even though PF BB is better IMO.)

I hope it won't be like Red Box 4E or Starter Set 4E. They were terrible.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I think 10 levels is too many.

3 to 5 would be fine.

The only thing I hope for us a nice box, like Gamma World had.

Which I don't really expect at the 20 price point.

Dice need to be in there too.

frogimus

First Post
The PFBB was decent. Didn't care for the pre-gen's. It doesn't feel like an RPG if you dont build your PC and giving new players that "easy button" seems to bypass the heart of PnP. Levels 1 - 10 would be great because I've never cared for progression past that.

For a first impression product, it should have a pleasing graphic appearance. Ten levels aren't needed by any means but a functional game supporting PC gen with replay value is must-have.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I'd like to see the starter box be able to support a lot of gameplay. A group could run it without ever needing the PHB or the DMG. The monster manual would be a good second purchase.

It would include:

• The How to Play document, with four races (human, dwarf, elf, halfling), and four classes (cleric, fighter, rogue, wizard) with a preselected subclass, but otherwise presented in their entirety (levels 1-20).
  • A DM document with advice for running the game, a light bestiary (probably supporting the first five levels or so), and a bunch of adventure seeds.
  • One or Two full adventures.
  • Character Sheets.
  • Dice.
  • Maybe tokens and a map. Plastic Minis if it were affordable would be nice, but none of these are essential.

Halivar

First Post
I'd like to see the starter box be able to support a lot of gameplay. A group could run it without ever needing the PHB or the DMG. The monster manual would be a good second purchase.

It would include:

• The How to Play document, with four races (human, dwarf, elf, halfling), and four classes (cleric, fighter, rogue, wizard) with a preselected subclass, but otherwise presented in their entirety (levels 1-20).
  • A DM document with advice for running the game, a light bestiary (probably supporting the first five levels or so), and a bunch of adventure seeds.
  • One or Two full adventures.
  • Character Sheets.
  • Dice.
  • Maybe tokens and a map. Plastic Minis if it were affordable would be nice, but none of these are essential.
Agree with all the above. Would prefer a "basic" set, rather than a "starter" set. A fully-fledged gateway product, not a demo. Strip out feats, replace skills with more hand-wavy backgrounds (a la FATE Accelerated). In general, it should be comparable the OD&D Basic set. 5-minute character gen for uninitiated players with the endless play potential is optimal.

delericho

Legend
We know D&D Starter Set will be released as the first rulebook of D&D Next. How should it look like according your opinion?

I know the Paizo/Pathfinder comparisons can get tedious for the 4e-philes out there, but... the Pathfinder Beginner Box. It's not absolutely perfect, but it's the best such product that's been released this millennium.

I hope it won't be like Red Box 4E or Starter Set 4E. They were terrible.

The 4e Red Box did, however, have an absolutely wonderful box. :)

Ichneumon

First Post
Red.

Well, not necessarily, but I would like it to be a complete game; a distillation of what will be in the PHB. For that price I wouldn't be expecting figurines but a few cardboard tokens would be good. Levels 1-10 would be sweet, but 1-5 is probably more realistic.

Oh, and no choose-your-own-adventure character creation booklet. Just no.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads