• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next Wish - Ptolus as an Official Campaign Setting

Amator

First Post
Since Monte Cook is working with WotC again, why not reintegrate his magnum opus back into the family, especially since it was also the original playtest world for 3rd edition designers?

There is so much greatly written fluff as far as locations, organizations, and NPCs that it would shine brightly in 5th edition.

Would anyone else be up for this?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
It would be great to have conversions of all sort of past products, including this one.

But...Mr. Cook is not actually working with WotC right now. It was a short-lived reunion.

That doesn't mean this couldn't happen.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Two problems:

1) Monte is no longer working with WotC.

2) Just because they hire him as a designer does not give them rights to his previous work, which would still be owned by Malhavoc Press (an entity legally separate from its owner). I seriously doubt he would want to sell it to another company, even if he was still employed by WotC.

Amator

First Post
Anyone know what happened? With two jobs and two kids I don't get to follow RPG news as much as I'd like.

But you're correct, no reason he couldn't license the setting out or use whatever d20/OGL variant 5th ed will eventually (hopefully) have to publish it himself.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Anyone know what happened? With two jobs and two kids I don't get to follow RPG news as much as I'd like.
In general, both sides are remaining quiet on the issue. There's been plenty of speculation, with depending on how you feel about WotC, opinions ranging from he refused to sacrifice babies as part of Hasbro's mandatory Satan Worshiping regimen, to he intentionally left mid project to attempt to sabotage D&DN.

Less ridiculous ideas have shown up, too. The most reasonable I've seen (STILL PURE SPECULATION):

He wanted to continue working on his own projects, and the intellectual property situation of developing independent material while working for a major corporation being as it is, he felt it was better to go off on his own.

Tortoise

First Post
The most reasonable I've seen (STILL PURE SPECULATION):

He wanted to continue working on his own projects, and the intellectual property situation of developing independent material while working for a major corporation being as it is, he felt it was better to go off on his own.

As speculation goes, if I were to bet on the matter, this is the option I would most likely place money on.

Argyle King

Legend
His blog seemed to imply he had an issue with management (but not with the other members of the design team.) Like anybody else, I'm guessing though.

Tortoise

First Post
So...you're inferring he was okay with the baby sacrificing? :eek:

Who let the non-believer in here? :devil:

On the topic of Ptolus and 5e, I would LOVE to see Ptolus conversion notes for 5e provided the rules work well in final form.

I'm prepping to relaunch my Ptolus campaign and think what I have seen so far might be heading toward a good system for just that.

Remove ads