• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D on CNN!

Boardgame

Way back in 1977, when I was a kid in school, I remember hearing about this new game that the big kids were playing called Dungeons and Dragons. I asked a friend about it, and he said , 'it's a game where you use graph paper for the board'.

So I don't think the boardgame analogy is really new.

Ken

jhilahd

Explorer
Yeah... and apparently my diplomacy skills on those comments don't work on Trolls. Drat.

As someone else posted, I don't understand why people would come along and bash our hobby because they don't like this edition of the game.
Seriously?!
Get people interested and then convert them to your favorite system.
"You like how easy it is to play 4e, well let me show you how much detail you can get with Pathfinder...." Y'know?

It's the whole "4e sux! Pathfinder forever" nonsense that just makes me cringe as a gamer.

Yeah the article is soft peddling the game, but at least it's getting a positive spin on a game that has been through the wringer in by-gone years and a change in perception won't hurt the hobby.
The people who are riffing on the Encounters option don't get it. The organized gaming community has been around for what seems like forever. I konw I played my first RPGA game in the early 90's and ran several tournaments, which are basically longer "enounters".

Anywho... glad for the positive article and hope it spurs new players into the hobby!

Dannager

First Post
The article seemed pretty focused on encounters to me. Just about everything they were talking about revolved around how little a time commitment playing in these sessions involved ( a good selling point IMHO)The article did cover a bit of 4E as a whole but the focus was certainly on how easy it is to find time to play in and run the encounter program.
I'm trying to explain to you that the target audience of the Encounters program is not necessarily the same as CNN.com's audience. The way people talking about the game present it to lapsed players is not necessarily the same as the way it ought to be presented to the wider audience.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a fan of 4E.

I thought that the article was pretty positive and did what it was supposed to do, which was put D&D (and RPG's) in a positive light, let people know that the hobby is still around and thriving, it also lets people who used to play that that there's a venue for them to come back.

I'm not a fan of 4E as an RPG but I've pre-ordered the Ravenloft Board game from Amazon because I think the 4E system would be well suited to a miniatures skirmish game or a board game. I plan on teaching my son and a few of his friends how to play the board game and hopefully I'll be able to expand things using the 4E core books and my own collection of tiles. I think they'll enjoy it.

N0Man

First Post
That said, expanding the very notion of RPGs to people outside of the gaming community as a viable and fun hobby is good, regardless of what game or edition is doing it.

Agreed. The most frustrating part about edition warring is that I have seen potential players turned off from the game entirely because of them.

I have been in the position before where I offered to DM a game of 4E for someone who was curious about D&D. Instead, one of their friends started railing against 4E with the typical 4E bashing catch-phrases, and talked about how 3E and Pathfinder were superior, and took a rude and condescending attitude in regards to my offer to teach his friend how to play.

Now, this potential player has now been turned off from 4E entirely. The thing is, this friend of his never actually helped him try any of these "superior" games, and this seemed to have snuffed out any flame of interest he had in the first place.

For crying out loud, let people game and try games out without burdening them with biases. At the end of the day, we're all in a niche geek hobby, and there's no point in chasing away new blood with our nerd rage. Don't take yourself (and the gaming) so seriously. It's supposed to be for fun.

Along the same lines, I think people getting bent out of shape in comparing the game to a board game are taking the game too seriously. It's still just a game, there's no need to put it on a pedestal. There are many aspects that are like some boardgames, there's nothing wrong with the analogy.

Then again, last time I played Clue, I was role-playing my character, so my board-game experiences may be different than yours. ;-)

IronWolf

blank
For crying out loud, let people game and try games out without burdening them with biases. At the end of the day, we're all in a niche geek hobby, and there's no point in chasing away new blood with our nerd rage. Don't take yourself (and the gaming) so seriously. It's supposed to be for fun.

I agree. I don't play 4e but thought the article was good and might put D&D back in front of people who used to play years ago and get them playing again. As you said, given the niche size of our hobby any positive news on a mainstream site is a good thing.

There is plenty of time to discuss editions once they are hooked again! ;)

N0Man said:
Along the same lines, I think people getting bent out of shape in comparing the game to a board game are taking the game too seriously. It's still just a game, there's no need to put it on a pedestal. There are many aspects that are like some boardgames, there's nothing wrong with the analogy.

I didn't see anything wrong with a reference to a board game. I think they thing they are trying to push with that, especially for the Encounters sessions is that it is sort of like sitting down at a table for a board game as far as these sessions go.

Folks that used to play might hear D&D and think back to lots of prep time or character building time and be less likely to try an Encounters session. But if they hear board game they might be more likely to take a second look and see what D&D today is all about.

As with which edition to play, there is plenty of time to show how D&D is not *exactly* like a board game once they are hooked or actually show up to play that first session in years.

FireLance

Legend
Hmmm...

Someone with the username Razzelmire made the following comment:
4E is just World of Warcraft on paper. It's a sad de-evolution of D&D. It has destroyed the continuity, lore, and "sacred cows" (like 9 alignments, Law vs Chaos, elves living for centuries, etc.) that the D&D mythology has put together for over 30 years. It's reliance is solely on combat as are 90% of the splatbooks released. 4th Edition is not truly D&D. The earlier editions were more true to D&D than 4th Edition ever will be.​
I'm getting flashbacks. :p

Remove ads