• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D on NPR

morgue

Explorer
Just a wee note - the BBC has a doco on the exact same thing being broadcast on Saturday.

BBC Radio 4 - 'Dicing With Dragons' - 3.30pm UK time. It will be available for download after broadcast from the Radio 4 site.

The DM in the game sampled for this one is me!

I haven't heard it yet, hope it's a good piece!

~`morgue, longtime lurker, but finally decloaked to pimp this doco :)

Last edited:

Wee Jas

First Post
Man, I'm sure my group sounds just like that too... and I will NEVER ever let anyone record us.. lol.

"They were troglodytes gentlemen!"

"now you'll pay for that spear in my side, diiee"

Lazybones

Adventurer
I enjoyed the story, but I didn't like that they chose to focus in their 30 second "preview" advert the line where Gervin says, "There are definitely moments where I sit around and say, I'm 38 years old, what am I doing with my life?" Of course, in the full story, he goes on to say that fundamentally, the game is fun, and that's why he still plays. Overall the story was positive, but they still pick the "pathetic geek" angle to play up in their promo.

Redsky

First Post
Thanks so much for the positive feedback everyone. We were overall very happy with the radio piece. It was wierd hearing myself DM the piece. :confused:
Just a point on the voices... a few of us enjoy the heck out of it because it can really add comedy, flair and uniqueness to some of the colorful characters we craft.
I also think NPR focused a bit on the voices because it came across better for radio and made it more flavorful, but I will say we leave our sessions laughing and having a total blast with many memorable moments.
I think overall it was a very positive piece they did and I am glad I was a part of it.
Thanks

reveal

Adventurer
Very cool piece. My only problem is the fact that, in general, gamers interviewed by the media seem to be so self-degrading.

I mean, in the initial piece, the guy says something like "Sometimes I look around and think 'I'm 38... what am I doing?" and in another piece http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1152417 a guy says he played for about 10 or 11 years and then stopped to "date girls."

I understand that the media puts those in there because of the "stigma" of geek gamers, but if people would stop doing it perhaps the media wouldn't do so. :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads