• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D online - one PC cant make next session. What to do

jaffab

First Post
So, I am into week 4 of a D&D online session (roll20) with me as DM, and next week is Easter... and one of the players cant make make it... what is the right thing to do?

The character is stuck in a tricky position with a party of 5 seperated by a pool of acid - and we ran out of time. But what is the best thing to do now...

Specifically....

1) Is it better to say to the whole group to take a 1 weeks break from the game so that this important PC does not miss anything?
2) If not, what is a good DM solution to a player who cant play (I dont want to suggest that somebody else play his character or I play it) - should I suggest that they leave him behind and pick him up later, use some clever magic to teleport him back to the last town?

What do other DM's do?

I'd reschedule. Especially in this case.
Give your players a new monster to play with* and try to catch up midweek or reconvene after a break.

* Easter Egg. HP: 3. AC: 10. Special attack: sugary goodness (teeth take 1 HP damage).

wedgeski

Adventurer
Dropping a session is usually a bad idea, especially with a new-ish group that has got a few weeks of momentum behind it, and assuming the rest of the players are keen to play on.

As for what to do with the absent player's PC, personally I play pretty fast and loose with this kind of thing. If a good way exists to excuse them from the session (e.g. they're in town and about to do something new), we'll use it, but if they're in the middle of a dungeon or other scenario, that PC simply ceases to exist. However, the PC's fate is still tied in with that of the party. If there's a TPK, we assume the absent player's PC was killed also.

It can be difficult for the party if it's the healer, for example, that goes away, but with trust on both sides of the screen, the situation is almost always manageable.

S

Sunseeker

Unless this person serves a vital role and the party is severely compromised without them, I just *poof* that player out. If the party dies, as wedgeski
, then that player dies as well, which is why if that player serves a seriously vital role, it would be better to either skip a session or completely re-tool what you had planned for that day. Skipping a session early on without a SERIOUS reason sets a bad tone for the group, and skipping a session because they've built a very holy-trinity party is also a bad idea, though it might encourage them to be less role-focused in the future.

An alternative is to ask the missing player if one of your other players, or you yourself can run their character in order to facilitate completion of the dungeon.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Lots of people ghost the PC and have it fade into the background. He/she is still there and sometimes the DM can have it function/support the group, but most of the times it just hangs back.

This is actually helpful at times because the DM can make the PC more active if the situation is dire.

This is what I do in my campaigns if I can't figure out a legitimate way to have the PC wander off or do something else while the others are exploring, etc.

redrick

First Post
So, I am into week 4 of a D&D online session (roll20) with me as DM, and next week is Easter... and one of the players cant make make it... what is the right thing to do?

The character is stuck in a tricky position with a party of 5 seperated by a pool of acid - and we ran out of time. But what is the best thing to do now...

Specifically....

1) Is it better to say to the whole group to take a 1 weeks break from the game so that this important PC does not miss anything?
2) If not, what is a good DM solution to a player who cant play (I dont want to suggest that somebody else play his character or I play it) - should I suggest that they leave him behind and pick him up later, use some clever magic to teleport him back to the last town?

What do other DM's do?

Since it is specifically Easter, you might want to reschedule the session. I don't think players should feel bad for skipping a session because of a religious/family holiday. (Same thing for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Passover, what have you.) This is different than a player prioritizing another aspect of their life (as we all have to do sometimes!), say to work late or on the weekend, or to attend a social function. In that case, I would say, Game on!

(Now, if I'm misreading your post and you're saying that the player is missing this week, and you have all have to cancel the following week because of Easter, I'd say, Game on!)

In our group (also Roll20, another player frequently picks up missing PCs, but I personally find this suboptimal, especially at higher levels. We actually just recently decided that we will not be doing it anymore. The problems tend to be:
* Some players are sloppier than others at how they track their character resources, features, etc in the online character sheet. For instance, one of our players keeps track of all his resources on paper. Or just keeps track of his spell list in his head. It sucks to spend 15 minutes in the middle of combat trying to remember how many 3rd level spell slots Merlin has left, or which cantrips does he know?
* Players tend to get pretty good at knowing their own features and how they tend to use them, but they can be a lot slower trying to figure out how to use a class they've never played before.
* Players just forget to handle the actions of their adopted character's turn, so there are a lot of "Bueller! Bueller!" moments in combat
* Taking risks with another players PC really sucks, but if you can't take risks with a character, why is that character there?
* The game always moves slower as a result, and rarely gets in a groove.

Now, if the playerless character is easy to play and the adoptive player has coordinated with the missing player beforehand, this can work better. Our dwarven fighter isn't so hard, because we are almost always more cautious with him than his player is, and his strategy is pretty much always the same. Attack. Attack. Action surge?

Ghosting a character is I think the best way to go, and it's a good practice to establish early on. Players might grumble about being down a PC, especially if it's their one fighter or their one healer, but, so it goes. Fighterless parties and healerless parties still survive the dungeon, and, as suggested upthread, if things really go bad, the cleric can briefly snap out of his strange daze and cast cure wounds on the dying rogue. Personally, in these circumstances, I would say that the ghosted character should not get xp — the PCs who play should either be rewarded for facing a harder challenge and succeeding, or not be penalized for facing a challenge which is scaled down to their number. (Unless you just do milestone leveling or what have you.

hollowheel

First Post
I think that it's usually best to take a "the show must go on" attitude to scheduling. Now with that said, I'd advise against scheduling games on major holidays-- so in this case, you probably reschedule.

If you do decide to run, I strongly suggest that you do NOT simply have him "poof" out of existence. Why? Breaks immersion. Run him yourself, but don't take the spotlight.

redrick

First Post
I think that it's usually best to take a "the show must go on" attitude to scheduling. Now with that said, I'd advise against scheduling games on major holidays-- so in this case, you probably reschedule.

If you do decide to run, I strongly suggest that you do NOT simply have him "poof" out of existence. Why? Breaks immersion. Run him yourself, but don't take the spotlight.

I think that there is a difference between "poof"-ing a character back to town or to some other safe waypoint and giving him some reason to fade into the background. In a world full of magical afflictions, there can be a number of believable maladies that could cause a PC to become functionally useless, but still able to tag along in some capacity or other. It obviously requires a slight suspension of in-game mechanics to know that this malady has only afflicted Fighter Bob because Player Joe is out sick, but there are plenty of in-game explanations that could work.

And, while this will definitely vary from table to table, I find the momentary agreement on the part of players to accept Fighter Bob's malady breaks the immersion less than the constant slowdown and confusion that can happen as the DM or another player runs a complicated PC for an entire session. In our case, every time the playerless PC comes up in the action order, it grings things to a halt and takes us out of the game.

Bayonet

First Post
1) Have the character absent for some story-related reason.

2) Ghost the character along, and allow him/her to jump in when completely necessary.

3) run a one-shot on your usual night with whoever wants to show up. Our group does this every now and again, lets people try out a new character , get up to wacky hijinks without being worried about losing a 'long haul' character, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads