• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Plastic Model Set from the 80's

Stormonu

Legend
Back in the 80's, there were two plastic model sets put out in license with the D&D name on them. I think they were released by ERTL or Revell, but I can't find pictures. The plastic models in the set were based off of grenadier metal miniatures, but in plastic

The first set was a small castle under siege (perhaps a representation of Castle Greyhawk?) It had the castle, several siege engines and a variety of armored troops. The back of the castle had steps down that led to ...

the second set was dungeon. I seem to recall there was a large central chamber and then several side chambers. This set came with a wide variety of monsters - including a dragon sitting upon a pile of treasure.

Aahh - I finally found a picture of the 2nd set - Dungeon Invaders

Does anyone else remember these sets or have more pictures of what was in them (or know where to get one for a decent price?)

Ulrick

First Post
There are actually three sets.

A list of each one is on this website. They're call "MPC Action Kits." MPC (now defunct) used to make the kits. They used to make similar kits for Star Wars.

Tome of Treasures - TSR Non-Gaming

Here's blog with picture of two of them fully painted.

MPC AD&D Action Scenes Swords & Dorkery

I own bits and pieces of the "Orc Wars" siege kit. When I found the rest of the kit some years ago, it was in pretty bad shape. So scavenged it for wargaming terrain and bits.

grodog

Hero
Dragon's Den was never produced, so it was just Orc Wars and Dungeon Invaders. You can find them on eBay from time to time, generally in the $20 to $40 ranges.

Look for pictures of them in comic books of the 1980s. I'm a comic collector and see those ads every once in a while when I buy a stack of vintage books.
I sure would have loved to see one of those in the store! They look like they would have been fun.

Remove ads