• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D playing nerd + supermodel = General Electric

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
So I was watching The West Wing on my TiVo last night and and as I was fastforwarding through a commercial block (as usual) I got a brief glimpse of a 3e player's handbook filling my TV screen for a fraction of a second.

What the....!

I hit play, rewound to the beginning of the commercial block and watched it through to see if WoTC was actually airing an ad for D&D durring primetime on NBC.

======================

Here's the commerical summarized...

A supermodel is carrying her basket of clothes down the street to the laundromat. As she is about to enter, a geeky nonotech engineer is coming out with his basket of laundry. They crash into each other sending their laundry baskets flying (you see a brief shot of a PHB come flying out of the geek's basket). As they are getting up, their eyes meet and you can tell it's true love.

A montage of courtship ensues and in one scene the geek gives the supermodel a gift which she unwraps, revealing her very own copy of the Player's Handbook (she smiles dreamily at him).

The next scene is them moving into their stunning Tribeca loft with all new GE appliances... And a tag line about how opposites attract.

=======================

I must admit that I was too boggled and flabergasted to really grasp what the commercial was selling.

It was just so odd to see the book that I spend a great part of my free time with in a prime-time ad. And so prominantly displayed (twice)!

I guess I should be annoyed that they are using D&D to indicate that this guy is the pinnacle of geekiness (although he is getting his hot supermodel girlfriend to play). And what the heck does all of this have to do with GE appliances?!?!

Did anyone else see this commercial?!?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
You bet! It's actually been posted twice, each one moved into the TV forum. If you look there, there's a link to the ad on the web.

I'll leave this open and up, though, for any discussion of D&D in the media. :)

Grundle

First Post
So clearly the message of the commercial is that by playing D&D even the most geeky, nerd can score with a supermodel. What could be better for the hobby?! :D

Baron Von StarBlade

Piratecat said:

There sure is! Fantasy books, too.

PC you are way too nice, you should drop hints like this. . .

lastweek.jpg

I guess you're alot nicer than me :D

Remove ads