• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D possible cause in Murder case again.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Tell me that when my body screams at me again (using its unique body language) for sitting at a table, for hours, in a room with really bad air, consuming pizza and cola, ingesting more fat and sugar during that game session than during the rest of the week ;)

Beats frying your brains on illegal substances. I'd rather be fat and lazy than brain fried anyday.

William Ronald

Explorer
I suspect what we have here is another local politician seeking to get publicity for himself.

However, I think it is important to counter the claims made against our hobby. I would like to suggest a good resource: The Escapist. The site has many articles and links to counter those who use our hobby as an explanation for all of society's ills.

Shadowdancer

First Post
Angcuru said:
And by the way. If any reporter reads this, feel free to make a lenthy incision into your carotid artery while in the tub. It'd make a lot of people happy.

I'd rather YOU make a lengthy incision in YOUR carotid artery while in the tub. That'd make ME very happy. At least it would preserve the integrity of the gene pool. :mad:

Yes, I'm a reporter. I don't see why the media is being blamed for this. The statement was made by a prosecutor, a public official. Even if it is a completely idiotic statement, it's fair game to use it in the story. Blame the general public who wants to read sensationalistic drek like that -- that's the reason the news media uses quotes like that, because it sells newspapers and increases ratings.

Of course, the reporter should have had the intelligence to question the DA further to see what basis he has for making this statement. Then include that information in the story, to show what an idiot the DA is. People have a right to know if their public officials are idiots. Hmmm, maybe that's what the reporter WAS doing in this case, letting people know how stupid this DA is if he thinks the killing spree was connected to a game.

Krieg

First Post
Shadowdancer said:
I'd rather YOU make a lengthy incision in YOUR carotid artery while in the tub. That'd make ME very happy. At least it would preserve the integrity of the gene pool. :mad:

Think perhaps you could have handled that just a smidge better?

William Ronald

Explorer
Shadowdancer said:

Yes, I'm a reporter. I don't see why the media is being blamed for this. The statement was made by a prosecutor, a public official. Even if it is a completely idiotic statement, it's fair game to use it in the story. Blame the general public who wants to read sensationalistic drek like that -- that's the reason the news media uses quotes like that, because it sells newspapers and increases ratings.

Of course, the reporter should have had the intelligence to question the DA further to see what basis he has for making this statement. Then include that information in the story, to show what an idiot the DA is. People have a right to know if their public officials are idiots. Hmmm, maybe that's what the reporter WAS doing in this case, letting people know how stupid this DA is if he thinks the killing spree was connected to a game.

Shadowdancer, I suspect that this is a case of a DA showing that he is a fool. As an ex-reporter, I would like to think that a reporter would ask WHY the DA believed gaming was involved with the case. However, if the DA failed to explain, it may say a lot about the DA.

As for sensationalism in journalism, I think people have complained about the public being distracted by "bread and circuses" at least since the Roman Empire.

Angcuru and Shadowdancer, it might be good to tone down the rhetoric a little. I think there is reason to be angry about a DA who seems to be making claims without backing them up. I have known ethical and unethical reporters, just as I have known ethical and unethical politicians. So, let's try to think of how to act towards each other.

Possibly a letter writing campaign to the DA might be wise. Someone on one of the mailing lists for Living Greyhawk's Verbobonc region sent me an e-mail with the address to the DA's office. I can include it. (MODERATORS: Is this allowable on the boards? )

Krieg said:
Think perhaps you could have handled that just a smidge better?

Why? Someone made a really assinine comment, and got it thrown back in his / her / its face - and deservedly so.

I didn't see any posts of "moral outrage" when the initial post went up. It's hypocrtical to complain now.

Krieg

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:

Because when you grow up you just may find out that stooping to an even lower level accomplishes nothing besides make you look the fool.

Patryn of Elvenshae said:
I didn't see any posts of "moral outrage" when the initial post went up.

Well that certainly justifies wishing death upon an individual doesn't it?

Last edited:

yogipsu

First Post
I use to live in the area around Villanova, then Conshohocken & I'd walk to King of Prussia for my gaming supplies (It seems Compleat Strategist is still in business.) It is sad how much easier it is to get an idea of the damage done if it's in a familiar place.

Speaking as a King of Prussia native (born and raised ... okay, actually around Limerick), it is. A neat little place, although it's dwarfed by the sheer enormity of the mall, which is actually quite intimidating.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads