• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Social Stigma

Bront

The man with the probe
My favorite evidence of the steriotype had to have been when I was asked by my neighbors when I was younger "Is that Talasman game we're plaing D&D? Because I'm not allowed to play D&D. My parents think it's evil."

I've been typecast before, I've been branded things because I game, but I don't realy care, because those that do judge are usually uninformed. More often I hear "Oh I used to play that when I was younger, but I don't have the time now."

Roleplaying tends to attract more creative and intellegent people than some other hobies, mostly due to all that it involves. Often, these are the kind of people that tend to stand out in a crowd, or can be intimidating to others, so people try to type cast them or make fun of them to make them less intimidating or belittle them to make themselves feel better. It's sad.

I have, however, met my share of nut jobs in gaming. Probably just as many in other hobbies, but the % seems to be a bit higher in this hobby than some others.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Bront said:
I have, however, met my share of nut jobs in gaming. Probably just as many in other hobbies, but the % seems to be a bit higher in this hobby than some others.

I'd tend to agree with this statement. There are nut jobs in every hobby, but for some reason gaming seems to attract a higher percentage of creeps and weirdos than other hobbies I've seen. It's actually kind of ironic: D&D is by nature a social game, but it seems to attract a lot of people who lack even the most basic of social skills.

It's also a pity, because I've gamed with a lot of really cool people over the years who definately didn't fit the sterotypes people commonly associate with gamers. But as long as people like the ones discussed in this thread make up a signifigant chunk of the gamer population, the stereotypes will remain.

DonTadow

First Post
jones4590 said:
Does anyone think that its realisticly possible that D&D and its players will ever manage to efface the awful and unfair socail stigma that dogs us all? Quite simple and if anyone has any ideas pursant to this goal... well please post them and share your ideas. everyone else, share your comments
Lord of the Rings was the big "it" if it was going to happen it should have happened then. Instead no real follow up movies or copy cats and the fantasy pop culture that brood for three years seemed to die with a wimper.

Sad too. I was going to explain to everyone about my +2 mace of holy light.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Professor Phobos said:
I sure wish they would. I lose a lot of shirts to bloodstains. Plus, half the Catholic population of my town thinks I have the gift of prophecy.

On behalf of the Pedantic Internet Spelling Snarks, I thank you.

-- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
DonTadow said:
Lord of the Rings was the big "it" if it was going to happen it should have happened then.

Nah, it's Harry Potter. We have lost one generation, but the one after that is ripe for memetic plunder!

-- N

Vonlok The Bold

First Post
I think it shouldn't be viewed as a stigma, and if it is, then it is the viewer who is lacking, not the gamer.

I'm not 30. I don't have any fantasy/rpg/game-con type shirts. I am married, and don't have facial hair, and I don't live in my parents basement.

I also don't mind anyone else who fits into that category. I think the stigmatation is fairly low-level, but gamers shouldn't reall worry about it.

Whatever a gamer's interests and appearence might be, it shouldn't bother anyone else. The gamers that fit the stereotype are great. I would much prefer a person who isn't like everyone else in so many ways.

(stops the violins and gets off the soapbox):lol:

DonTadow

First Post
Nifft said:
Nah, it's Harry Potter. We have lost one generation, but the one after that is ripe for memetic plunder!

-- N
If harry potter is it, I"m going to have to croak. SAdly you may be right. I still think that he's nothing more than a magical Enclopedia Brown (I"m telling you there's some copyright infringement going on there).

Which reminds me, I"m heavily surprised now that there is no harry potter d20 rpg. That's what is needed to set this thing off. Ten years from now we'll all be talking about how great dungeons and dragons was before they renamed it Harry's Dungeons and Dragons.

Turjan

Explorer
DonTadow said:
Which reminds me, I"m heavily surprised now that there is no harry potter d20 rpg. That's what is needed to set this thing off. Ten years from now we'll all be talking about how great dungeons and dragons was before they renamed it Harry's Dungeons and Dragons.
It seems to be expressively forbidden by the author. From a thread regarding this topic on rpg.net:

"WotC has the rights to do a Potter RPG, but Rowling has stated she feels RPG "rot kids brains." That's a direct quote from the woman at WotC in charge of flying to England and trying to covince Rowling otherwise."

Talk about social stigma ;).

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
jones4590 said:
everyone else, share your comments
Move to Austria - there's no such stereotype here.

Yeah, I suppose odds are that's not a very practical suggestion, but still.

stevelabny

Explorer
yes. it is possible to lose the stigma.

how?

stop acting like cowards who are too embarassed to admit you roleplay.

every day you live in fear, the stigma continues.

Remove ads