• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D "Style"

The_Universe

First Post
As the day when we will actually be able to begin the new D&D game approaches (currently estimated as the weekend of August 4-6), I wanted to get you thinking about the overall style of the new D&D game. Several of you, during the D20 Modern game, happened to come in just after things had taken a turn for the worse, and, as a result, I don't think I was able to clearly relay, in part, what I have in mind for how I want the Oout-of-character stuff in the game to go.

As we're learning in the Mutants and Masterminds game, style and expectation can be difficult issues to grapple with. Since we're emulating comic books, cartoons, and other similar media, we're generally expected not to attempt to kill our opponents until or unless they attempt to do the same to us. Is this necessarily logical? Of course not (though it can certainly be justified). However, it's an integral part of the story that Jeremiah is kind enough to share with us, and a clear factor of the genre we're imitating.

The D&D game I'm working on for all of you will obviously have a slightly different style, with different expectations, than Jeremiah's excellent M&M game. As a result, it is extremely important that we all start the game with the same general idea of how things are going to work.

Style and Expectations for Abandoned

1. Death is possible.
Your character might die, although I will not go out of my way to kill him or her. That being said, some (if not many) of the obstacles and enemies you encounter will not be immediately surmountable; your characters should be brave, but remember that not everything I place in your path is meant to be killed on the spot. Discretion, as we all know, is the better part of valor.

Nevertheless, your character can be resurrected. Once. I think some element of risk is necessary to make the game fun; limiting resurrection attempts keeps me from overwhelming you too often, and ensures that you take in-game threats seriously.

2. Equal emphasis will be placed on story and strategic elements
As you may have noticed, I place a great deal of emphasis on story development - at least I try to. Your character's backstory, alignment, and other narrative elements will be given as much weight in a typical game session as the gamist elements, such as combat, spells, etc. In short, I expect you, the players, to spend as much effort on playing your roles as I do on your playing with (dice) rolls. Please do not look for ways around your alignment, or excuses that might allow you to do something that seems otherwise out of character - the obstacles are part of the fun, and should be treated as such.

3. The rules are "as-written," unless you hear otherwise from me
Although it's certainly possible that various house-rules will arise during the course of the game, the rules in the books are the rules of the game, unless I tell you otherwise. The game is obviously an imperfect mirror of reality - even accepting a reality with magic, monsters, etc. Please bear that in mind before making complaints.

4. Some out-of-session participation is expected
Creating even a marginally detailed story that includes the characters as more than mere spectators requires some effort on those characters' behalves. So please, respond to direct requests for information/ideas, so that I can write a campaign that actually includes the PCs. If, for some reason, that kind of participation is not possible, let me know, and I'll arrange to take a little more active role myself in your characters' development.

I am sure there are more items that I should put here - Liz and JC have played D&D with me more recently than most of the rest of you - they might be able to better signal what you can expect. In any case, if you have any questions about the above, now is the time to raise them. Having posted them, I will expect you to follow them as much as is possible. :)

Remove ads