• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Tactics

2WS-Steve

First Post
I'd love to see something like the Gold Box games too -- even simple 2d counters on maps would be fine with me.

I'm sort of surprised that we haven't seen any small developer experiment with putting together a simple game like that using the OGL. Use some open content ability score and experience charts (like from Spycraft 2) then just do the software programming the same way OGL based character construction does it, with the OGL based stuff being in text files that are declared open content.

I'd think it'd be very profitable as far as shareware profit margins go.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
5? I didn't realize that many. But I jumped ship from the C-64 to the PC in 1987. Even though it meant a downgrade in graphics (to 4 color CGA), the PC was getting "deeper" games like Starflight.

Anyway, the Wizardry style game for the DS that is coming out soon-ish (May?) is Etrian Odyssey

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/sekaikinomeikyuu/screenindex.html?page=2

Anime graphics, but otherwise it's very much like Wizardry. You even use the touch screen to draw square based maps

takyris

First Post
Mmmmmmmmm. Secret of the Silver Blades. I loved that game. The finale, when you're taking on the Storm Giants (who are immune to electricity) and the Iron Golems (who heal when hit by fire), was fantastic.

I wouldn't necessarily want to see a straight port of the game, but if they moved it all to 3E and bumped up the graphics a tiny notch while still staying turn-based and overhead-view, I'd be a really happy camper.

I haven't gotten a portable anything yet -- I'm more interested in the PSP, but BioWare is gonna be putting out a game on the DS eventually, so I really ought to get that instead.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
LightPhoenix said:
I won't be playing this. I'm not about to spend a bunch of money for one game when there's a whole ton I like on the DS.

I'm pretty much the opposite. I've got 20 something games for the PSP (and if I had the time/money could easily triple that), while only a few for the DS (though there are a number of upcoming games that look promising).

Still, in either case, neither one is all that expensive. The PSP obviously more so, but when you consider they are only 2-3 times the cost of modern day console games (which are generally $60 each), they really are bargains. Especially when most of the games for them are $20-30 each themselves.

LightPhoenix

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Still, in either case, neither one is all that expensive. The PSP obviously more so, but when you consider they are only 2-3 times the cost of modern day console games (which are generally $60 each), they really are bargains. Especially when most of the games for them are $20-30 each themselves.

Well, my cost for getting a PSP is $200 (for the core pack), so really the cost to play D&D:T is $230 dollars. Considering I already own a DS, the cost for getting a game on that is $30. Not much of a competition, especially when for that $230 I can pick up a Wii instead.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Heh, good luck finding a Wii for $230. The only ones you can get right now are in $600 bundles (with a bunch of games and extra junk)

But still, my point is, a PSP (or DS for that matter) only costs the price of 3-6 games, depending on the system the game is for. Generally speaking, you'll probably end up buying 3-6 games that you really end up not liking at all (on an existing console). So really, it's not that bad getting a console for a game you really really want. (And seriously, it's not like the PSP doesn't have any other decent games.).

And this isn't specifically you, so don't take offense, but I get so sick of DS fans who constantly rag on the PSP, saying it has no good games, blah blah blah. But when the PSP gets a new game announced, they complain it's not on the DS.

I mean, seriously = in this thread alone, we have 5 people complaining its on the PSP. Sheesh.

Simplicity

Explorer
You can get a Wii for $230 if you're willing to get up early (like 6:00am) and wait in line for it.
That's how I got mine about a month ago...

Just wait until Best Buy gets a big shipment in, and go line up.

Remove ads