• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Tainted Sorcerer question(Looking for a spell or ability)

Soylentgreen

First Post
Hello, I am making a new sorcerer character. Was looking into doing a metamagic build with one.

I thought it might be fun to do make it a Tainted Sorcerer. I was trying to lower my metamagic costs with feats. Then realized, I could just become undead, or find a way to negate constitution loss.(or find a way to restore it easily.) Other than taking like 5 levels in a class to do so.

Well I found a level 8 sorcerer spell "Veil of Undead" basically makes it so you can't take constitution damage.

As well as take "pure soul feat" so I don't gain taint stacks.(unless being undead from the spell would negate gaining taint, by me going back to normal taint stacks after the spell has ended?) Basically saying, I cast the spell "veil of undead". Casts spells build up my taint stacks because I'm undead I can basically do this endlessly. Then when the spell is over, all the gained taint goes away, as well as constitution dmg. I want to know if it actually works that way.

I was wondering if there was anymore spells like this I could get at a lower level, a class, an ability, or feat that would let me do this earlier? Or at least restore my ability point loss until I can cast it.

I'm playing a sea dragonspawn desert kobold, with loredrake. So I basically have +3 to my sorcerer class at level one as far as casting spells goes. (planning on doing kobold greater Draconic rite of passage for another sorcerer level for casting spells so I will be at a +4)

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Hello, I am making a new sorcerer character. Was looking into doing a metamagic build with one.

I thought it might be fun to do make it a Tainted Sorcerer. I was trying to lower my metamagic costs with feats. Then realized, I could just become undead, or find a way to negate constitution loss.(or find a way to restore it easily.) Other than taking like 5 levels in a class to do so.

Well I found a level 8 sorcerer spell "Veil of Undead" basically makes it so you can't take constitution damage.

As well as take "pure soul feat" so I don't gain taint stacks.(unless being undead from the spell would negate gaining taint, by me going back to normal taint stacks after the spell has ended?) Basically saying, I cast the spell "veil of undead". Casts spells build up my taint stacks because I'm undead I can basically do this endlessly. Then when the spell is over, all the gained taint goes away, as well as constitution dmg. I want to know if it actually works that way.

I was wondering if there was anymore spells like this I could get at a lower level, a class, an ability, or feat that would let me do this earlier? Or at least restore my ability point loss until I can cast it.

I'm playing a sea dragonspawn desert kobold, with loredrake. So I basically have +3 to my sorcerer class at level one as far as casting spells goes. (planning on doing kobold greater Draconic rite of passage for another sorcerer level for casting spells so I will be at a +4)

If you are willing to spend 3000gp and lose a level (and your DM allows it), you can undergo the ritual to become a Necropolitan (from the book Libris Mortis):

http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/necropolitan.shtml

This is, if I recall correctly, the cheapest, "easiest" way to become undead and it can be done around level 3 (you automatically lose a level and 1000 XP and you need to be able to survive that). You don't have to worry about waking up under the control of a vampire or turning into a rotting flesh eating monster either so it doesn't come with the usual drawbacks of being undead. But of course the ritual is super evil!

Soylentgreen

First Post
So upon further reading. Turns out becoming undead will not allow this to work. Tainted metamagic says you have to have a constitution score in order to use it.

But alas I found a cheaper, easier method to do it.

level 1 Sorcerer.
Level 2 Cleric
Level 3 Tainted Sorcerer.

Feats that make it possible.
Sacred Vitality, and Pure soul.

Of course, you have to take both feats after you've met the pre-reqs. Such as cleric before you can select sacred vitality. Or pure soul after you've become a tainted sorcerer, and then cleansed your taint.

But once this is all said and done, you can now stack metamagic like a boss, because you're immune to ability point damage for 1 minute per turning you decide to give up for it.(per day)

Remove ads