• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Tiles

Pinotage

Explorer
As an avid play-by-post gamer and DM, I entensively use various bits of mapping software to create my combat maps and other maps for players. One of these programs is a Java Combat Mapping program that uses 32x32 bit icons to represent battlemap features such as characters, monsters, terrain and the like. Essentially, it's a online battlemap creator with terrain tiles and object tiles, not unlike Dungeoncrafter. The latter, however, has a significant lack of tiles to use for monsters and characters.

I spend a huge amount of time surfing the web to find appropriate icons for various creatures and characters with a lot of success, but it strikes me that there might be a product out there that already has an icon for every monster in the MM for instance or scores of player character icons. Now these icons are essentially 2D images of the creature/character in question, not just faces such as the various Counter Collections have.

I'm aware of icons from older programs such as FRUA, which generally have loads of icons, but they're sometimes very poor quality.

So my question to you - are there any icons like this out there that one can buy to make maps with?

Thanks!

Pinotage

At the expense of tooting my own horn -
Dundjinni (www.dundjinni.com) is a tiled based mapping program with character/monster tokens - and we're planning to sell token packs (of digital reproductions of Reaper Miniatures) as a supplement to the product. (I think they'll be in our proprietary format - so you might have to buy the program ($40) to use them.)

Staffan

Legend
While it may not make it any easier to actually make the icons, you could always check out the art galleries on the WOTC site to find pictures to modify.

Pinotage

Explorer
Size?

Thanks for the replies. While I've seen the WOTC images, they'd be really difficult to convert to 32x32 pixel images. Are the images planned by dundjinni going to be that size or what specific size is the base (5 ft x 5ft)?

Elephant

First Post
Pinotage said:
Thanks for the replies. While I've seen the WOTC images, they'd be really difficult to convert to 32x32 pixel images. Are the images planned by dundjinni going to be that size or what specific size is the base (5 ft x 5ft)?

Why would they be so hard to convert? Just pop 'em into Corel or Photoshop and hit the 'resize' button.

Fast Learner

First Post
I'm pretty sure he means that they're hard to convert into something even remotely recognizable at that size. Icon-sized art is pretty unforgiving.

Thanee

First Post
Pinotage said:
One of these programs is a Java Combat Mapping program that uses 32x32 bit icons to represent battlemap features such as characters, monsters, terrain and the like.

Is that available on the net somewhere (for free, that is)?

Always curious about such stuff. :)

Bye
Thanee

Pinotage

Explorer
Software

Elephant, Fast Learner has it in one guess. Icon making is indeed unforgiving! :)

Thanee, it's a program I wrote myself with only the bare bones of functionality. I was hoping to improve it when I got the time but it was a rush job to begin with. You're welcome to the class files if you want them. Here's a breakdown of the program:

Fixed map size (20x20 squares)
Rudementary load and save ability. Basically it saves the map as a jpeg, and then loads it back when you wish to continue.
Only supports one object set (size dependant on your screen resolution) to be loaded at a time, in addition to a terrain set. You can load others but they need to be manually renamed.
Icon size is 32x32, but you have to arrange your own as I search for them as I need them.

As you can see, lots of work required. :) It serves my purpose for pbem games, though. :)

Pinotage

Thanee

First Post
You don't happen to have a website where you have the 32 pixel tiles available, you have collected so far, do you? :)

Just started a week or so ago using the above, and what can be seen in the example is what I have done so far. Not much yet. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads