D&D turned up to 11.

A

amerigoV

Beholders, Mind flayers, Rust monsters, oh my!

Sounds like a fun game.

Well, no rust monster. But from Monte Cook's Ptolus

Pactlords.jpg

(Oh yeah,we kicked their butt using the Savage Worlds System ;))

ThaDium

First Post
The recurring villain is also a good trope, and it can add a thread of consistency between otherwise completely unrelated adventures. Make it an exceptionally annoying fan of the PCs who knows everything about them, but is deeply insulted at one point. He was able to keep tabs on the PCs before, but now he's doing so to help their enemies. A gift that keeps on giving.

Right now, they're set up for what I hope will be a lovely recurring villain. Here's how it went down (I'll recount as briefly as possible, certainly leaving out important details):

They were summoned by the head of the City of Three's Thieve's Guild who was looking to buy a magic bastard sword from them. (It came from the horde of the dragon they had killed.) In the course of dealing, the guild master (an ogre mage) took the dwarf ranger/rogue into the hallway only to realize he wasn't going to get anywhere with the bearded warrior. So he cast message and told his medusa assassin muscle to turn the other PCs to stone as a power play. They both made their saves, the hobbit mystic theurge hitting it clean and the elven druid/barbarian dropped a character point for a reroll. What then ensued was a standoff straight out of a Quentin Tarintino flick.

The PCs were horribly out powered (a minotaur fighter/scout rounded out the guild reps), but the party had rolled into town with a freshly killed dragon carcass and word had quickly and appropriately spread that they were dragons layers. So the NPCs had no desire to throw down. The PCs would up leaving with a magic helmet in exchange for the sword and the elf barbarian insisted on one of the statues in the hallway as recompense for the guild master's powerplay.

The statue is of a petrified elf maiden and the elf barbarian fully intends to turn her back to flesh and keep her as a... I'm not entirely sure. Henchman maybe? Not a slave, he's good aligned.

Anyway I don't intend to let that work out. She's going to become an antagonist unless they play their cards very carefully. At the moment, I'm thinking she'll be Rogue 4/Sorcerer 5 ne'er-do-well.

I'm trying to flesh her out, though. Why was she petrified by the guild? How long ago did it happen? Has she been aware the whole time? If so, what was she aware of?

Any thoughts?

(oh, and there will be Beholder mounted Illithids. I'm copying the pic now.)

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Next time they collect firewood or hunt an animal for food, make it an Awakened creature that screams in common.

I remember a forum post a long time ago where the DM explained that he had the PC's enter a cave and encounter a Kobold. They fought and killed it. Than another Kobold ran out, ran to the dead body and wept over the death of it's mate, suddenly making the "monster" appear like the sentient being that it is, making the players feel bad.

stuble upon what looks like Goblin mines but turns out to be a conclave of Goblin scholars, think monocles and top hats, where the Goblins are more sophisiticated than your PCs. If the PCs attack, have the Goblins do nothing but stand there and look down upon them for thier brutish behavior and cry out "Just don't distroy the books, the books!"

Do something that makes your players second guess the idea that "It doesn't look humanoid and that's sufficent reason to justify killing it."

...But only if you really want to mess with thier heads.

Last edited:

ThaDium

First Post
Next time they collect firewood or hunt an animal for food, make it an Awakened creature that screams in common.

I remember a forum post a long time ago where the DM explained that he had the PC's enter a cave and encounter a Kobold. They fought and killed it. Than another Kobold ran out, ran to the dead body and wept over the death of it's mate, suddenly making the "monster" appear like the sentient being that it is, making the players feel bad.

stuble upon what looks like Goblin mines but turns out to be a conclave of Goblin scholars, think monocles and top hats, where the Goblins are more sophisiticated than your PCs. If the PCs attack, have the Goblins do nothing but stand there and look down upon them for thier brutish behavior and cry out "Just don't distroy the books, the books!"

Do something that makes your players second guess the idea that "It doesn't look humanoid and that's sufficent reason to justify killing it."

...But only if you really want to mess with thier heads.

I did something similar in a game I ran years ago. A snowstorm trapped the PCs in a keep full of recently deceased. As the party had arrived there from a visit to another plane, they had no provisions. Wouldn't you know, among the dead was a minotaur. They ate it.

Storm passes and the PCs continue on to a nearby town. Only to meet a distraught female minotaur who promptly asks them to help her find her mate. The scene at the keep where she stood horrified over the half eaten body of her lover was excellent.

In my last game one of the evil NPC parties was made up of three loving couples. Once they started to drop at the hands of the PCs, the emotional tenor of the fight got pretty intense.

And now, two asides:

1. On the homophobic stuff that keep threatening to thread jack this, I won't be using that idea, so please drop it.

2. As for meeting in a tavern, I didn't decide on D&D turned up to 11 as my theme until after the game started. The party is together to bring a tribute to the main kingdom of their failing empire. They are living at the end of a golden age.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I once had a party land on an island where human sacrifices were taking place to placate the god of a volcano. The players thought the story of the god under the mountain was hooey, so the rescued the sacrifical victim and slew the priests. What they did not know was that the sacrificial victim had volunteered out of patriotism, because an annual sacrifice kept the island from being destroyed and allowed the rest of the inhabitants stay young forever. When the island started to sink, one of the party members had to sacrifice himself to save the island or they would all die. That was some drama...

Remove ads